Electric yellows

Williebubba

G`day i have three electric yellows, i think 2 are males and the other female but they are only around 5cm long so i'm not sure. Today i noticed for the first time ever, that two of them were chasing each other in really tight circles. they were touching ones mouth to others tail and just continuously spinning.

They showed no aggression it looked like they were playing but i didn't think fish play.

Is this a breeding, territorial, fighting or playing behaviour?

Cheers will

Williebubba, they are just playing tag mate!! smile.gif

Na this is more a territorial thing. Each fish is trying to gain dominance

confused.gif Sounds like breeding behaviour to me. I have never had a problem like this with electric yellows

I've got a tank with 3male and 5 female mainganos and the males often do that and not only on a horizontal plain but they will also do it on a vertical plain against the back wall of the tank or against a rock. They also do it as a tag team, 2 start and the third jumps in and continues while one of the others drops out for a rest. So i'd have to agree its a dominance thing and not breeding related. Theres never a dull moment in an mbuna tank.

Bob

Ok cool, i wish it was a breeding behaviour! cryblow.gif

anyway thanks for all your help i hope soon that one of them gets dominance and just hurrys up and breeds with the female.

Cheers will

Archived