Goby Cichlids

JonFishin

Hi guys

I can get my hands on Eretmodus cyanisticus and Spathodus erythrodon and also S. erythrodon 'kabezi'

I can't seem to find any info on the kabezi varient and am struggling to find much difference in either cyanosticus or erythrodon, can some one help me out here?

I can't see the fish before I buy them as I have to order them if I want them, the kabezi is a little dearer than the others but I'm struggling to find sufficient info (other than form pairs in live in surge habitat) or even pics of the kabezi.

Has anyone personally seen any of these fish and how do they compare to the pics in Ad's Lake Tanganyika book?

Thanks for your help!

Jon

i had the eretmodus cyanisticus and mine were imported stock that died within a month of each other i think the first died within 2 weeks and the other followed a few weeks later. I spoke to others who got the same fish and none of theirs survived either, so from what i gather they are not so easy to keep, and even though i researched them i found it hard to duplicate their natural environment

Hey thanks Sarah

I can get them on the w/sale list for around $44 at 5cm, so I gather they must be breeding them. Maybe they will survive longer than imports???

From what I gather I just need a good powerhead and lots of oxygen, anything else you picked up while researching?

That's a real shame that none of yours survived, I'm a bit more reluctant to give them a try now.......hmmmmmm.....but there's no other cichlid like them which makes them such a cool fis,h I think.

Thanks heaps for shatring your experience with them, I'll let you know if I decide to give them a shot wink.gif

Anyone else had better luck?

Jon

Hi Jon

i havent read up on them since i lost them however i just did a google search on them and made a printed copy of all that i found on them which was a fair bit, i think with these fish its definitely trial by error i only found out certain things after i lost them whether that might have changed the outcome im not so sure seeing as i had mine in a 160 litre tank and others in much bigger tanks, still they were imports and yours are not,

good luck with yours if and when you get them, post a pic , i found them in the short time i had them an interesting fish just wish i could have kept them alive a little longer

Thanks Sarah

How did you find them compared to pics of wildcaughts? I thnk I'll give em ago, wish I could find something on these 'kabezi'.

I'll get a pic up as soon as I can, i was only going to get a pair (thought by 5cm would be able to pick out a male & female) but now think I might grab 4 or 5 and let them pair off and see what happens.

Good to see someone else has had them before, they are not often seen. If I get them to breed I'll do u a good deal if you're interested in trying them again biggrin.gif

Think they might go in a 4fter with some Xenos or Julies.

Thanks again!

Jon

definitely try them again as they are such an interesting fish, if you do breed that would be great and there are some great articles on breeding these fish , good luck

im in Melbourne but if you ever do get fry i would be very interested in getting some

cheers

Being "surf" fish they need uper oxygenated water and a good current. Powerheads set low down in the tank, hence forcing water along the bottom of the aquarium is essential. Also I'm sure I read somewhere that they grazed on algae and small crustaceans, so I guess brine shrimp and algae covered rocks would also be beneficial.

Terrific fish - good luck with them. rolleyes.gif

merjo

I have seen pics of them and they are always with tropheus, apparently they are a very good mix together. Id suggest that u do what the others said but also to let alot of algae grow because as merjo said, they love grazing on algae. Because in the wild this is what they do for most parts of the day. I read somewhere that you should get nice flat river stones or slate and place outside in water to grow a layer of algae over it and switch the slate daily into the tank, placing the slate/river stone that has been in the aquarium back into the bucket outside to grow more alfae on. So the gobies can graze on the algae constantly. Or u could get a strong UV light to grow the algae rapidly onto the rocks. But apparently they like sub-dued light.

Anyway HTH

lee

Archived