Food For Tropheus

madcichlid

Hi All,

I have a colony of Tropheus chipimbi and the only food I give them is Seraflora, which they where also given before I bought the colony. I thought to feed them a combination of Seraflora and Omega One Super Veggie just to vary the food a little. I like to know if anybody tried Omegaone veggie on tropheus and what experience they had with it. I heard and read this is the best and cleanest fish food in the world. I feed most of my other cichlids with this particular brand and they love it. Ingredients are: Whole Kelp, Spirulina, Whole Salmon, Black Cod, Whole Herring, Seafood Mix (including Krill, Rockfish & Shrimp), Wheat Flour, Wheat Gluten, Lecithin, Astaxanthin, L-Ascorbyl-2-Phosphate (source of vitamin C), Natural and Artifical Colours, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Folic Acid, Biotin, Inositol, Tocopherol (preservative), Ethoxyquin (preservative).

Here link for Omegasea products Link

Thanks Ziggy

Not familiar with the product but I am entirely encouraged if the ingredients are accurate smile.gif A vege flake where the bulk ingredients aren't animal protein!!! If you look at seraflora, you will probably find shrimp and fish meal are the 2 key ingredients, vastly different obviously. I can't see how the omegaone stuff could be bad for Tropheus, but its only a guess smile.gif

I will be looking into this stuff, sorry I couldn't really help.

I use Omega One shrimp pellets and the fish love it, You will find almost anything will eat it aswell as my larger Bn's can be fussy but the seem to enjoy it aswell

Worth giving it a go thumb.gif

HTH

Adam

i have used omega one for my tropheus for only a few weeks. Did have one female bloat up but it could be because it was a bit stressed when i was stripping it of it's fry. I think if u choose to feed them this, u should not use it as a staple food but precede it with the sera flora flake. Make sure u soak it well before feeding and preferably feed it to adult tropheus. Also i find spawning tropheus tend to be more prone to bloat.

It is only my opinion but i believe the NLS cichlid formula is a lot better food. I have been feeding it for a few months now with no ill effects. I have had 6 females spawn during this time. Some females spawning for the first time. It seems to be a lot easily digested. U will have to decide whether u want to try this or not.

Hi,

Those that know me are aware of how soap boxish I can get when talking about Tropheus - (relax I can only dispense advice from experience and hope that others may take heed smile.gif) and their dietary habits. I feed my colonies OSI spiulina and wafers and fresh veg and little else. I am however experimenting with NLS Cichlid formula on some duboisi - touch wood, no ill effects so far.

I cannot comment on bloat as I have not experienced it with any Tropheus variant that I keep in over seven years, nor can I comment on Omega one as I have not used it. From your info on it's ingredients I can see no harm in giving it a go and follow Dave's advice on soaking as this sometimes helps digestion. I have found T. "Chipimbi' to be a hardy, not to mention delightful variant, so they may be more forgiving if you want to attempt some food changes.

Have fun.

Cheers

Aline

Thanks all for your good advice,

I thought that NLS Cichlid formula has as the main ingredients Krill and some other fish matter and only very little veggie matter not making it suitable for Tropheus.

However I've been feeding this food for years to some of my other African cichlids and all can say that they liked it. Most of frys get fed NLS growth and live baby brine brine shrimps and have a big success rate growing them out. I will try feeding my chipimbi a couple of times a week using Omegasea and yes I'll soak it, make sense I find the flakes are hard and not soft like most brands.

Thanks again Ziggy

i don't think the krill or other fish proteins should cause too much problems. But what i suggest is to feed it like once a week and then slowly increase the frequency of feedings as long as u don't experience any ill effects. I think water quality is a lot more important than diet. Healthy tropheus don't get bloat from the food u feed them (in moderation) but stressed, harassed tropheus will be susceptible to high protein foods because of the combination of unfavourable factors. If you r new to tropheus u need to make sure that u get all the water parameters and regular water changes down pat before u start experimenting with other diet. Let the tropheus get us to the environment and feed them a easily digestible veggie flake and then when they reach breeding size u can add these higher protein pellets to condition them up for breeding. Remember, in Europe and America they feed their tropheus shrimp mix and frozen krill and their tropheus thrive so go figure!

• 2 weeks later...
tetra color bits are the best food four all chiclids

That's a bit of a blanket statement there huh.gif

Edit: Here's Tetra Colour Bits ingredients/analysis...

Ingredients: Fish meal, dehulled soybean meal, wheat germ meal, wheat flour, corn gluten, feeding oatmeal, potato potein, shrimp meal, dried yeast, wheat gluten, monobasic calcium phosphate, l-lysine mono-hydrochloride, lecithin, algae meal, soybean oil, ascorbic acid, inositol, niacin, a-tocopherol-acetate, riboflavin-5-phosphate, l-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (stabilized wit.c), choline chloride, d-calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, vitamin a palmitate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex, folic acid, cyanocobalamin, chole-calciferol, manganese sulfate, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, cobalt sulfate

Colors Include: Beta-carotene, red 3, ethoxyquin and citric acid as preservatives

Guaranteed Analysis:

Min. Crude Protein - 47.5%

Min. Crude Fat - 6.5%

Max. Crude Fiber - 2.0%

Max. Moisture - 6.0%

Min. Phosphorus - 1.5%

Min. Ascorbic Acid (Vit. C) - 100mg/kg

Protein being what tropheus owners are scared of (bloat) I doubt they'd try their fish on colorbits.

After all the hype over NLS i'm trialing it on some of my fish, changing them over from AOA bits/Hikari Cichlid Gold over the next week or so.

From the reading of that Omegasea link quickly, it sounds to be a very similar high quality product to NLS just with the ingredients ratio's played with (possibly because it is an actual "vege" product & not the straight "Cichlid" one like NLS). There isn't any analysis info up on their site (or am I blind?) - could someone with the product post it for curiositys sake?

Some info from that Tropheus/NLS thread...

OSI Spirulina Flakes contain the following main ingredients:

Fish Meal, Wheat Flour, Spirulina, Shrimp Meal, Fish Protein Concentrate, Fish Oil

Min. Crude Protein ....... 41%

Min. Crude Fat ....... 4%

Max.Crude Fiber ....... 6%

Max. Moisture ....... 8%

NLS Cichlid formula.

Main Ingredients: Krill, Herring, Wheat Flour, Amino Acids, Algae Meal, Soybean Isolate, Fish Oil, Beta Carotene, Spirulina, Garlic,

Guaranteed Analysis: Protein 34% Min., Fat 5% Min., Fiber 5% Max., Ash 9% Max., Moisture 8% Max.

The original thread can be found here, pretty good interesting reading.

Cheers

Ash

Please bear in mind I don't own tropheus (or any africans for that matter), tho my CA/SA's are just as important to me as your tropheus are.

Hi Guys

I haven't kept any tropheus myself as yet, but I thought you guys might find a couple of articles I saw recently interesting. This link will take you to a webpage I found, which among other things, contains a couple of very interesting articles on fish food in general and also feeding of tropheus specifically.

Cheers, Doug

no i dont keep TROPHEUS but at my LFS they feed there tropheud color bits and they eat them fine no problems and the guy who brought them it and coloney of 15 was feeding them on color bits they breed with no problems so im just sayen what they do i dont no because i dont keep them

high protein diet alone won't cause bloat but if u are lazy and do not maintain pristine water quality with weekly water changes then a diet of tetra bits may be "the straw that breaks the camel's back" so to speak!

i know of some people who feed their tropheus with tetra bits with no problems but they have gotten all the other factors right.

i wouldn't feed tetra bits to a new colony of juvenile tropheus, u r just asking for trouble.

i would rather condition my tropheus on NLS pellets rather than tetrabits.

i have seen some LFS feed their tropheus blood worms and keep their tropheus in a community tank but do they see bloat - u wouldn't know because bloat takes time to develop and they may have sold the fish before it has the time to set in. Also if a LFS loses fish do they advertise it on their tanks?

All i can say is feed at your own risk.

Archived