My Texas lost a wing!

nels87_o_O

HEY!

My female Texas lost a wing! So yeah! She can't swim anymore I think, She's now in a corner by herself losing colour! She lost her right fin but still got her left so I'm quessing she can only swim in (anti)clockwise. Will it grow back? lol Should i put her out of her misery? I'll rescue her into a floatie nows! "Help"

Nels wub.gifwub.gif

just a quick question nelson.... smile.gif

how did she loose her wing ????????? lol

well definatly if you have other aggressive cichlids in the tank with her... then yes you should move her to another tank and treat her, or seperate the tank if you can.... cause if she's weak and the other fish can notice it, they'll peak on her till they kill her....

anyway i have no idea if the wing will grow back.. but try some melafix it might work if there's a chance of treating the wing smile.gif

good luck...

c ya

Well if you are interested in finding ways to punish the male i have the answer. You most likely have a fish net, get that fish net and chase the bugger around smile.gif. I do this to my blackbelt and green terror when they beat up on my venustus. As soon as my blackbelt sees the net he swims for his cave, the funny guy even goes pale when im only in my tank to take out a fish.

yep like barc888 said...

just a bit of stress will do it... but make sure don't over do it.... and don't be mean to the male... smile.gif or you'll kill him cool.gif

c ya

Don't punish the fish, as the keeper is in the wrong not the fish, the fish are just behaving naturally. Should have separated the fish. But yeh, try to divide the tank if you can and let the female heal. Good Luck! smile.gif

I agree with jbounce, punishment of the fish is unnecessary, if not cruel.

The answer to me is simple, if they don't get on, seperate them. Having said that, some fish go through a testing period where they 'argue' for a while, after which they get on fine, may be a dominance thing? Oscars are a prime example of this, they will battle for a while then form a bond for life (this happens mainly from a young age).

Regards

Sam.

Hey guys.....theyre fish, not dogs! Stressing them out with a net isnt going to 'punish' them - its just going to stress them. Its not going to 'teach them a lesson' or have any affect whatsover on their behavior with other fish. They'll just be frightened of you.

As regards the texas missing her wing. The fish isnt going to look very pretty but eventually should be able to swim OK. I have a featherfin catfish about 5 inches long who was born with only one side fin. It doesnt affect her ability to swim at all.

Having the fin torn out in a fight is obviously different, you need to watch for secondary infections (the Melafix will help) and the fish is probably traumatised.

I hope your texas recovers OK.

Nick

Archived