Emergency Tank Replacement

Paulochromis

My 200L tank may be leaking (I'm at work, so only have the wife's word for it).

I've been told to get hold of a 60L garbage bin, put the fish in it and run my filters & heater in it.

1. Any recommendations re bin - what about a similarly sized storage bin (you know, the ones with integrated wheels you see at discount shops). They are rectangular, and have a decent surface area.

2. What about cleaning precautions. What should I do? Just rinse with hot water?

Help appreciated,

Cheers,

try and get hold of one of the big blue ones ,there food grade so just need a rinse ,im not sure about your area ,the nearest place that has them is bonnyrigg produce on elizabeth drive ,but yes just put the filter and heater in .you could also try your lfs they may be able to help you out!

Those storage bins will do just fine thumb.gif I used to run three 80 litre one to raise fry in with no probs , I would be carefull of the heater though , just make sure it is not touching the sides .

Ok, the tank would appear to be intact.

The wife reported two suspicious puddles, a small one inside the cabinet 10-20 sq cm, and a larger one outside 200-300 sq cm. She was adamant that there was no leakage from any of the filter lines. She cleaned them up, and 12 hours later, no more water. I'm drawing a complete blank on trying to figure out where the water could have come from.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice, and a big thank you to Citypainter (aka Dave) for his offer to accommodate my loved ones (the fish that is, not the wife and kids)

Cheers

Could it just have been the fish?

On a particularly agressive day I've had water outside the tank. Victims of agression normally hang up the top near the lids, and if the lids are not tight-fitting it's not uncommon for some water to splash out when a male zooms in for a bashing.

Of course the best way to fix this is to provide more hiding places or get a better mix of sexes...

Archived