Eheim Automatic feeders

taybelZ

Just purchased one today, and in the instruction it says not to use rechargable batteries? I was wondering why is that so?... anyone know?

I'm told the standard batteries will last me like a year, and shouldn't worry about battery usage (which i'm not ). But, would still like to know.

I dont know for sure, but I'd say its because generally average quality regargable batteries dont hold their charge for very long. sometimes they lose half their charge in a week. Alkaline batteries however do not have this issue. They have a very good shelf life. Therefore more reliable over long periods. dntknw.gif NiCad and NiMH often have slighly less voltage than alkaline/longlife stuff, but I doubt that matters.

Like I said, I'm only guessing.

Cheers,

Jason

A quote from the internets:

"Self-discharge: All battery chemistries discharge slowly when left sitting. Some chemistries, like the alkaline and lithium cells used for throw-away batteries, have shelf lives of five to ten years. Rechargeable chemistry will self-discharge much faster, with shelf lives of two to four months. These batteries aren't the ones you want in your glovebox emergency flashlight, and probably aren't the best possible choice for battery-powered clocks. "

Hi TaybelZ,

I've never considered using rechargable batteries in my Eheims, so thanks for getting that one sorted (and thanks to Eddie and mainos for the answers).

I've got 10 Eheim auto feeders and I think they are brilliant, I've been away on hols for up to 6 weeks at a time and the Eheims haven't let me down yet. Just a few tips:

The food chamber will generally hold enough food for two weeks (at one rev, twice a day) - so if you're away longer you might have to get a mate to come and refill it.

Try to avoid using flake in the feeder - it will absorb moisture from the atmosphere and won't fall out into the tank. A small pellet works best.

A few test runs beforehand is a good idea - it's real easy to get the opening wrong and overfeed.

Cheers,

Lee.

I agree with Lee, they're a great feeder but don't use flake as it tends to block up the thing if there's a bit of mositure in the room.

I once went on holidays for a week and used flake. The second day it clogged up the feeder and my fish didn't eat for a week till I got home! So definitely use pellets. thumb.gif

Archived