hormone breeding

wormboy

Not knowing a great deal about hormone induced spawning, could somebody please fill me in on the ins and outs, particularly in relation to Synos and Loracarids. Not that I am hoping to try it at the present time, just that I would like to understand the concept a little better and this seems like a good place to ask questions. confused.gif

A couple of questions to get the ball rolling, first the big one:

1 is it kosher (i.e. is it generally frowned upon)

2 is it usually waterborne hormones such as a tank additive or does it entail injection?

3 are the hormones natural or synthetic, and if synthetic do they have effects specific to species, genera or higher taxa?

4 is there any published material dealing with this topic in details?

5 obviously the some specific hormones are a trade secret and hard to get details on, but is there any species specific information readily available (or do I have to resort to industrial espionage James Bond style)?

Im sure I'll have more questions as you all answer these, cheers all

-worm-

There was a commercial farmer here in Melb (Now in Qld) who told he spent big bucks on Aquatic Hormones, the fish were feed the be$t of the be$t for weeks prior

each fish was then measured and weighed.

$pecial needles were bought that would only allow penetration just below the skin

$pecial chemicals to carm the fish.

The results were huge growth increase, terrific colour inprovements but that was all, no spawns.

l dont know about you but l love the challange, trying to do what others have given up on or say that it can not be done, dont take the fun out of it, enjoy it for what it is.

P.S if it was possible the L046 Zebra would be $1.50 by now

i checked it out. there are articles showing how to induce spawns by using hormones (those ones that athletes use etc).

Theres are 3 common types of hormones you can use to induce spawn.

Check googles for Hormone fish spawning (or more specifically salmon/trout).

you can readily buy those hormones from over the internet (but not sure if its legal import to australia)

with regards to zebra, I haven't seen/heard from anyone using hormones to spawn them, the only reason its not $1.50 is due to size of spawn and high mortality rate (5-7 litters per batch)

patiants is the key as all fish should spawn as long as you give them good food and good environment smile.gif (well atleast we hope so!)

I would suggest finding out how they do particular species in the fish farms (malaysia etc)as to work out wether it's viable or not.Most synos are hormone induced anyway so whats the difference if they get them from overseas or you if you have a go and crack it?

exacly Xing, the only difference is that we cant import a lot of the species in raesonable numbers (although a few sneak through in small numbers via some means or another), so if we were to make a concerted effort to breed them from that initial brood stock they will be more readily available. As you say most of the synos are hormone induced to spawn anyway.

I totally agree with the idea of good food + good environment + good fish = spawning but surely this is a sensable approach to something like S. angelicus which are by all acounts almost impossible to induce naturally

Im speaking from an "advancing the hobby" POV not necessarily a financial one which also must be considered as it sound like it is a bit of a large outlay.

-worm-

We have a member here who could possibly help with your questions. He doesn't look in very often so maybe if you email him with particular questions he may help. I should also add that he is very busy so his time is precious to him. PM me for his details.

Andrea smile.gif

well all i can say is all these fish breed in the wild, so if you can replicate their natural conditions, with wet seasons and all, and good food eventually they should breed...............................surely blush.gif

i'm gonna have a crack at some pictus, rolleyes.gif

adam

I have heard of Pictus successfully spawning, but it was more of a case of

"what a nice tank of large pictus, oh look, a baby pictus" woot.gif

a bit of an accidental spawning and juveniles were not produced in any viable numbers.

Good luck because I understand it is quite possible with nothing more fancy that a bit of TLC and a healthy dose of luck.

-worm-

Archived