Synodontis petricola Spawn

CThompson

I moved my Synodontis petricola from a community situation sharing with leptosoma “Mpmbwe”, Callochromis macrops and Julidochromis marlieri, and hundreds of mystery snails (bit of a problem that one), to their own section in a partitioned off part of my system tanks. After I caught out the adults, I then had to chase around the tank for seven 15mm babies and one 3mm one.

I’m a happy chappie (-:

Craig

Mike,

If yours are also 15m, how old does that make them? I guessed something like 2 months?

What did you use as a first food?

What are you feeding them now?

Which is smaller, newley hatched brine shrimp (which I don't have) or micro worms (which I do have). I expect micro worms will be suitable as a first food, but can you confirm this please?

I have my larger babies in by themselves, and I have put live daphnia, wrigglers, micro worms, and some crushed flake, just to make sure they have enough. Interestingly, when I caught them out of the community situation, they all had really fat tummies. Now, separated since Sunday, and swimming amongst all that food, they seem to have lost weight.

You're right, they are awesome as they would be one of my favourite species, up there with my Tropheus Ikola (Oh no, I mentioned the "C" (Cichlid) word, hope Yew doesn’t move me now to the cichlid section (-:8

Craig

Hi Craig

I am feeding mine brine shrimp.... Havent tried microworms... However if they have got the pattern already then they are past microworm stage.

i have only used brine at this stage... Hatched - couple days old

The 15 mm one goes back to the 25 October so just under a month...

Mine are in there own tank 2 fter... I have had about 4 - 5 spawns but only successful in two spawns... I spawn consisting of 1 baby the other with 7.

Would highly recommend hatched brine... Mine have fat bellies .....

Yours would have eaten juli eggs to get the bellies fat ... lol

Mike

Hi Craig,

great news i`ll have to come up and have alook nice 1, on another note are any of your Callochromis macrops juvies big enough to sell yet (i`ll give you a ring to confirm) geez there nice fish.

good luck with your Synodontis petricola (love for you to have steady supply :D )

cheers

Aurea23,

Only a month old, now that surprises me, I thought they were really slow growers. Considering the size of my small one (2-3mm), they get to 15mm quickly, which is a good thing.

Hungsta,

Looking at a ruler, I would guess my adults are around 65mm.

Anthony,

My macrops young are only around 20mm, so there is a while before they are up to size. I’d love me to have a steady supply of petricola too :rolleyes:

Craig

I completed a “hatchery” for the petricola yesterday, that will hopefully remove any eggs laid in it, to a separate container, which is transparent, and easy to see if there are any eggs in it.

Saw an obviously gravid female being pursued by a male yesterday too, so hopefully they will use this contraption to breed in, as it will save all the eggs. It is all very nice to have eight young, but it would have been even nicer to have the other thousand or more that were eaten from the first two spawns…..

Craig

• 2 weeks later...

There is some size difference, but the babies are now 15-20mm, will they be considered as food by the other adult petricola?

I have been keeping them in a small recirculating container, and have been thinking about releasing them with the adults, but unsure as to the reception they will get.

Craig

Great stuff guys. Makes a very interesting read. I have been wanting to get into cats for ages but just don't have the space or the $$$ at the moment.

Craig, as long as the "c" word has "ichlid" after it you should be fine. Dave is reading this post now. :lol:

Archived