Fry Tank

tank246

Hey everyone

I have about 6 fry electric yellows in a seperate tank its about 1ft wide and 1.5ft high. The fry dont seem to be growing very well. I am thinking its the size of the tank but may be wrong. Why arent they growing?

Two things for fish growth, water quality and diet, tank size will eventually play a part but not at this stage. I once read about a discus breeder who filled two identical tanks with discus, one with a hundred 2" fish the other with 30 2" fish and fed them the same diet, then measured their growth. Tank one had 4 x 20% water changes daily, tank two had one per day. After a month the tank with 100 fish had doubled the growth rate of tank with only 30 fish, reason = water quality, the regular changes increased the growth rate dramatically, point in hand change your water regularly.

The second is diet, yellows are omniverous so can handle a little extra protien, so instar2 naupli, microworms and pureed prawn will all help to supplement their diet, but be warned with a high protein diet, fish waste is high and water quality becomes a factor, see point above smile.gif

Best of luck thumb.gif

Ideally until they stop growing laugh.gif

Every day is a bit steep for most of us. I try to change the water in my fry tanks once a week, but it is often once a fortnight instead.

Dingoes is right, the more water changes you do the faster your fry will grow.

I wouldnt ever do a 100% water change. Even from the parent tank.

I usually do about a 50% water change every 2 weeks from the parent tank water.

I do 25% changes, always from the tap. I find using water from other tanks kind of defeats the purpose dntknw.gif

I do a water change on the parent tank then take the required amount of water from the newly changed parent tank and put the required amount into the fry tank.

I do 25% changes, always from the tap. I find using water from other tanks kind of defeats the purpose  dntknw.gif

This is what I am doing. I think I will stick to this rather than using water from the parent tank. Thanks for the help thumb.gif

I once read about a discus breeder who...

Read the post properly blush.gif

Dances read about this guy, and the water changes were only being done that way to prove or disprove a theory.

We do not know when these tests were done. Just because Dances posted this info recently, it doesn't mean the tests were necessarily done during our current water shortage.

I once read about a guy who invented a petrol-driven motor car. Does that make him irresponsible considering the current fuel situation? blink.gif

"As many times as you can manage per day (at least once), approx 20-30% each change".

and if you read the whole thread he reccomends this at the present time , i'll ignore the pointless analagy as you and i dont have any control over it

Archived