2'

gizmo42au

I have an old 2' tank that i want to ressurect as a malwai or tang tank. Any suggestions as to what i can put in it? I already have the salts as it used to house shellies. I dont want shelliesd again. Any suggestions?

I tried malawi and tang 2' setups and none of them were terribly successful. I cant think of any Malawi that'd work, I've tried a few and most were too agressive or large. As for Tangs, Im sure there are some you could try, however I'd suggest dwarf cichlids for a 2'. Ever considered apistogrammas?

Go for some tang shell dwellers, you won't regret it. Despite being the smallest cichlids they are probably the most fascinating. L.multifasciatus and L.occelatus are two specis that come to mind.

Anthony

I dont want shelliesd again. Any suggestions?

Despite the suggestions that have been made, I am guessing by the statement that gizmo42au doesn't want shellies cool.gif

Andrea smile.gif

oops, sorry, i'm stupid. My only other suggestion is to get a pair of kribensis, they are an extremely under rated species. Or if you want something different get some albinos or another similar species.

Anthony

i have 10 Altolamprologus compressiceps gold in a 2x14x18 tank for the past 8 months with no problem at all.i usually do a 30% water change weekly.so i guess 3 should be alright.

For something how about a pair of Eretmodus cyanostictus (there were some for sale earlier in the year). They need a lot of cover that needs to go right up to the water surface as they normally live in the surge zone. The pH will need to be slightly higher (9+) due to greater aeration of the water. A larger airstone will also needed to increase the oxygen levels. They are biparental mouthbrooder, that is the female will hold for approximately 12 days and then the male hold for approximately the same.

Dave (Moliroman) had posted a photo of a juvenile recently (Photo 7)

http://ace.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=16416

Ged

They grow slow and about 10cm? i think, females are considerably smaller than the males. If ya want these guys its good to purchase a shell the female can get in and male can't, other wise eventually when they breed the male will polish off the eggs. But that will be a while down the track considering they are painfully slow growers (i.e. about 2 years old when they first breed i think).

If any of my info is incorrect can someone please correct me as i'm no expert on these guys.

Anthony

Yeah they are really slow growers, but they look really cool. I got some fry off lacichlid and they look good. The parents, or who i think are the parents (i forgot to ask), look really good.

Im only going to keep 2 in my 2'er.

Thanks for your ehlp.

Archived