africans vs americans for import

burgoid

hey. i was wondering if anyone can shed some light on why there are so many more africans on the import list then americans. with ne frontosas on the list it kind of removes the no large preadtory fish rule. dry.gif (i think). so is it due to the fact that there is more demand for africans then americans. or is it that fish from the african lakes cant survive as well as americans in our FW. any opinons welcome

Americans are (generally) far better predators than frontosa, and can breed a species out of competition far quicker. Large spawns, fantastic parenting behaviour, insane growth rates, adaptability and age for breeding maturity all work against American's.

meanwhile the dirty african tilapia are killing our northern waterways

Yep, I don't doubt americans would do just as good of a job though.

We need more "tilapia" fishing comps.

Are we forgetting the large South American Oscar as an allowable import? They're imported by the thousands every month, yet have we had a problem with them?

Convict cichlids have been available in Aust for long enough, have there been large feral populations?

The example of Hazelwood pondage keeps coming up.... That is an un-natural pond. There are few predation pressures and lets face it, all the cichlids available in the pondage are availalbe up in Cairns and Darwin to hobbyist, yet I don't believe there is a problem with large feral ornamental cichlid populations even in the tropical areas.

Tilapia species that are a problem are not aquarium ornamental fish. These were brought in as table fish for aquaculture that have gone feral. So quit blaming it on the ornamental fish industry.

What difference in breeding is there between the pest tilapia sp as compared to say the Aulonacara sp? They're both mouth brooders and they both breed as easily. To say that Aulonacara are not adaptable is plain ignorance. These are bred en-mass in South East Asia in outdoor ponds, PH 6.5 and under, far removed from the "ideal" conditions hobbyist recommend! Why then are Aulonacara allowable imports if the rationale is that they are "not adaptable", when that is clearly seen as a fallacy?

South American species are a broad representation. Why is Copora nicaraguensis importable and say Acarichthys heckelii not? What about Gymnogenies sp? Satanoperca sp (mouth brooder just like the african cichlids!)?

In short... the answer is ignorance either way. no.gif Have a read at some of the bio-security review papers. It's a joke. So many species on review have a status that declares them as "not available in Aust". Yet if the ppl who write these papers could be bothered to go to a few LFS, they would see that they are already locally prevalent!! Mind you, according to them, there are no electric yellows in this country. LOL.gif

So jump on board with the society and do something about getting more Americans on the import list. Anthony is looking for people to volunteer their time to work on getting a few more species added. If you're that passionate about it, as you seem to be, why not channel that passion into something that will benefit the hobby?

We are doing our bit... Don't want to say too much lest we get 6 new species added and another 10 taken off... blush.gif

So jump on board with the society and do something about getting more Americans on the import list. Anthony is looking for people to volunteer their time to work on getting a few more species added. If you're that passionate about it, as you seem to be, why not channel that passion into something that will benefit the hobby?

Fair enough mate smile.gif My comment wasnt directed at anyone in particular. Just generally speaking, if people want more species added then get involved. To those of you already doing their bit, I think a lot of people owe you a big thankyou!

Archived