70x28x28 stocking

burgoid

hey i will be getting a custom tank within the next couple of months it will hold about 900l and will be 70x28x28. i was wondering if this would be big enough for a dovii it is only 2'' short of a 6 foot but i am concerned about the width. how long will i be able to house a male. what else could i go for instead of a dovii, i wanna stick to americans though.

i thought about that, but i would really prfer a dovii if possible if not i dont care if its a solitary fish or not. it will be a display tank. i also had a flooded amazon biotope in mind as well.

being a bit over 2' a dovii might work - but if you get a bigger than average fish it'll be a waste.

With those tank dimentions one fish really comes to mind - Umbee!

Umbee are generally longer but a little lighter (well thats what game-fishing sites suggest according to standing records). Umbee are a poorer choice IMO because they are open water predators. Dovii have an almost 'mbuna' like affinity with rock and cave structures. I think a solitary male will be fine.

I am not suggesting they are boring though, far from it.

I thought (just to make a comparison to more common fish) Umbee were like huge RD's & dovii were like huge jags (ie: dovii are longer & slender whereas umbee are shorter & stockier)

over simplifying I know, but I thought umbee got 50-60cm & dovii were 60-70cm?

Hrm, I thought that was the other way around too. I'm confused now.

Here's some Aquaria Central Profiles...

Umbee

Dovii

It says Dovii are the open water preditor & larger - though the interweb is known to be wrong.

Maybe someone like Aquamojo should chime in, having adults of each.

From reading his site, he has breeding Dovii in a large indoor community pond & the umbee in a ~6x2x2 by itself

Archived