Cichlid Tank

brendon

Hello ,

i was just wonderin how many rocks should i put in a tank , its 4ft , and i heard that i should put rocks in then build them up so the fish use all of the tank ? , does anyone no what i should do beacuse i have a few rocks in there but i want to make it more like the lake they come from , malawi which is heavily rocked as what people have told me ....................

Dragon in The Making

I dont think its so they use all the tank, its more if they become territorial they can establish a territory within the rocks/caves etc.

I only have a few rock caves between 20 odd fish with no problems, it will take some experimenting though to get the balance right.

A general rule is that haps like open space and mbuna prefer a rocky tank. So as city painter said 'it depends on what type of fish you have'. What fish do you have?

Anthony

This is from a similar post...

I agree with everything WAZ has said. If you take a lot of care when stacking the rocks and be sure that they can't fall or be undermined through digging, you will be fine. I have about 80kg of rock in a 4' x 18" x 18"  Obviously it leaves very little swimming space...but that's the way Tropheus spp. like it. Depending on the type of fish you plan to keep, rock can be put together to form walls, piles, caves or small "landmarks". Mbuna prefer a lot of rock whereas "haps" need open water swimming space.

HTH>

Andrea smile.gif

Hello .

My tank has changed , its 4 ft , and i have a few rocks in it , but i have 2 colonys in it now , the fish are quit small , they are albino and red zebs they are beautiful , the aquarium said to me that all u need to breed them is pots or flat rocks , there is nothing else in the tank ecept for 3 bristlenose that might breed due to there sex and size (sweet eh) , there is about 4-5 rocks in there at the moment no caves structure , but might think of it ,

Rabbit

Archived