Wollongong Annual Fish Auction

youngy_11

Hi,

Does anyone know when the Wollongong(Kanahooka High School) annual fish auction is happening?

confused.gif

G'day

The Annual Wollongong Branch of the New South Wales Ciochlid Society Auction is on

25the of June

Link to the calendar

As a side note. It is often very surprising at what fish appear at this auction, you may be surprised at what they have "down there". Especially when you consider how close they are to the Sydney meeting.

cya Matthew...

G'day 

The Annual Wollongong Branch of the New South Wales Ciochlid Society Auction is on

25the of June

Link to the calendar

As a side note. It is often very surprising at what fish appear at this auction, you may be surprised at what they have "down there". Especially when you consider how close they are to the Sydney meeting.

cya Matthew...

Matthew,

Laurie and I went last year but I thought it was in August (we had a great time) . Is it too late to get auction lots? I am not even sure if Laurie was intending on gong this year but if he is he would probably be after some as well.

cheers

Rosco

G'day Rosco

I am not on their committee. So I cannot answer that question for you.

Please contact one of the committee, inside the front cover of the Cichlid Mag.

I understand the auction was brought forward so that it wasn't so close to the October auction up in Sydney.

This has lots of advantages for both buyers and sellers. yes.gif

I am also told that the temperature is also better for the fish, slightly warmer per the Weather Bureau. Go figure blink.gif

Matthew....

G'day Rosco

Well the room itself is just about done.

The fishroom side of construction is just about to begin. But hopefully it will be well underway by the time of the major auction. dntknw.gif

G'day 

25the of June

Link to the calendar

cya Matthew...

OK Thanks for that information. The side note part what did you actually mean by that?

G'day Youngy_11

Despite the close proximity of Wollongong, to Sydney you may be happily surprised at what is commonly available down at the Wollongong auction.

I have been to two auctions and what is common or in some cases simply available down here seems almost staggering to me. Eg. At my first auction I was hunting everywhere for some Nimbochromis livinstoni. I had searched every single aquarium store in Sydney and even on the forum all to no avail.

But at the auction I walked in and 20 minutes later I had what I wanted and I considered it to be about the half the price of a "single fish" up in Sydney and I had just bought an instant colony. yes.gif

Another species that I was after were some rare eartheaters, guess what I found them!

And then there was a colony of the best electric yellows I had seen in years ....... (PS. Anita bought one of the lots and I got the other.)

Needless to say each time I went home with more fish than I bargained on but I considered all to be absolute bargains. thumbup.gif

I suppose that is the beauty of an auction you just never know what people have stashed away and what will show up.

Matthew...

ok nice i can't wait. So obviously there is a big range of fish there and also colonies great. I won't buy any fish from my LFS ill just hold my self back and then ill have room in my tank for fish to buy at the auction. So at the auction do they just walk around to each table and auction each lot till there are no more fish.

How much do you think for 6 small fronnies? Bacause i want to to grow them up to breeding size. DO you know any info on breeding fronnies?

ok nice i can't wait. So obviously there is a big range of fish there and also colonies great. I won't buy any fish from my LFS ill just hold my self back and then ill have room in my tank for fish to buy at the auction. So at the auction do they just walk around to each table and auction each lot till there are no more fish.

G'day

The way it works, the bidders all sit back in the chairs provided and the auctioneers stand at the front of the hall and auction the fish lots as they get handed to them. It is pot luck as to what comes out and when.

How much will a fronnie lot cost? I honestly cannot say. There are often absolute bargains at these auctions, whether fronnies will be included in that list I don't know dntknw.gif , but I am sure you will not be paying a retail price for them. cool.gif

Re the breeding of fronnies, I would start a new topic. You will get more of a response than in this forum thread.

Matthew...

any body who is wanting lot numbers can contact me

there is a max. of 24 lots they come in sheets of 8

peter

ph. 0411896592

G'day Peter,

I have sent you an email earlier in the week re myself and Laurie chan's lots hope it got there OK

cheers

Andrew Ross

Another good thing about the Wollongong auction is that it usually finishes at a decent hour. I think last year its was around 9pm.

I am eager to go up to this auction.

Just wondering what type if fish generally are available? A bit of everything??

Cheers...

Pretty much a bit of everything usually saulosi, EB EY BN, dubosi Hongi etc but ever now and then something a little unusual pops up like big plecos, sub-adult calvus and big Fronnies, It does finish as a good time and you get to catch up with (and meet) some great people. I had a good time last year.

cheers

Rosco

Hi guys,

The following may answer your questions:

THE NSW CICHLID SOCIETY ILLAWARRA BRANCH WILL BE HOLDING ANOTHER HUGE AUCTION ON SATURDAY, 25th JUNE 2005

TIME: 1.00pm

ALL LOTS CAN BE BOOKED IN FROM 10.30am AND NO LOTS WILL BE ACCEPTED AFTER 12.30pm. YOU CAN GET LOT NUMBERS PRIOR TO THE AUCTION FROM THE SOCIETY (CONTACT NO’S BELOW.)

VENUE: KANAHOOKA HIGH SCHOOL

ROBERTS STREET, KANAHOOKA

ITEMS FOR AUCTION:

CICHLIDS, CATFISH, TROPICAL FISH, AQUARIUM PLANTS, MYSTERY BAGS (These are rare fish that have been purchased by the society and will definitely be worth whatever price is paid) AND OTHER AQUARIUM RELATED ITEMS.

RAFFLE TICKETS:

$1.00each Prizes include $100 worth of Auction Dollars to be spent on the day and other great prizes.

NOTE:

A 10% COMMISSION FOR MEMBERS & 25% FOR NON MEMBERS WILL BE LEVIED ON ALL ITEMS SOLD.

ANY INQUIRIES PLEASE CONTACT:

ALEX VARGA: 02 4229 4139

PETER COLLIER: 02 4261 9606

Cheers

Aline

Archived