Overflow boxes

catfishLegacy

Hi,

Do a search for a "CPR’s Continuous Siphon Overflow". This is an off the shelf overflow kit. Not cheap.

A few years back I built one from two plastic boxes and some bits and pieces I had around the house - worked very well.

For plans on a DIY overflow simply do a Google image search for "overflow aquarium". This will give you a few plans to have a look at.

Good luck,

Chris.

My addvice would be use ALL PVC. Buy 50mm pvc tubing, cut out 1 small peice, put an end cap on, the above the end cap add a T peice. The top of the T peice is where the PVC will go in, and the other part of the T, you can use reductor peices of PVC to make the 50mm go down to 25mm. Once that is done, simply make a 25mm siphon tube, and from the 25mm section of the T peice, have PVC running down into the sump.

Here is a terrible illustration:

user posted image

Thanks for the replies clap.gif

Alistair, I think I get it...

This might be a dumb question but how do you start the siphon? And will it start again if the power goes off? confused.gif

So is the above plan easy to do? Might give it a go tommorow.

I've made several overflow boxes from those industrial soap dispensers that attach to the wall. I'll post some pics soon for you. If I forget, remind me in a few days laugh.gif

Starting the sipon is a real annoyance, its the weakest part of the system, imo. The reason i say this is because if the siphon stops your in a bit of trouble.

I get a 90 degree air hose joining peice, and then drill a hole into one of the 25mm PVC elbows that make up the siphon tube. The hole is just big enough for the 90 degree air line connector to fit into, also i make a grove so that the elbow sits in pretty tight, then place silcon airhose on the end of the elbow thats not inside the pvc. Then put a lot of silicon around it, and on the end of the airhose put a valve.

You can suck through the airhose to start the siphon, then turn the valve to shut the air off, and the siphon will continue.

Rather than the elbow, i would try maybe irragation equipment, it should b much better. Also instead is putting a shut off valve on the end of the air hose you can slip it down into the 50mm pipe, which will be filled with water.

Its all pretty easy to do, and the siphon will stay if the power goes of.

The simplest way to start such a siphon, is to completely submerge it in the tank so that it is filled (or a filled bucket if that is easier) . Take it out holding your fingers over both ends (keeping the water in), put it into position, then let it go, and the siphon will start.

You can have more than one siphon, it won’t take out any more water but it may give you a backup if one should stop. Incidentally, make sure you put a strainer over the inlet.

The safest way is to have the tank drilled and plumbing fitted (bulk head outlets). That way the water drains in and not siphons (which hold the potential for stopping).

Craig

In my opinion they are not very good. The problem is you cant get a decent flow rate through them also if you get an airlock in the siphon they stop. There was a few types around a few years ago but never really worked very well. As Craig said the best way is to drill a hole in the tank.

Archived