Peppermint Bristle nose V 30o heat.

Ben

How do you find your peppermints hold up in the heat.

Yesterday it was 38o here in Newcastle and I was out all day. The tanks got to 32o+ and I lost 6 peppermints and that was it.

Do they suffer from the heat?

I have moved them into a tank that is normally 2o or more cooler than the other's other than the heat I can't see what else may have caused the deaths.

They were sharing a tank with 10 yellow calvus and some cyp's. They are all ok. Any idea's.

Cheers

Ouch, bad luck. I sometimes put ice cubes in my tank to cool it down in extreme heat. But i havent had any problems with this for peppermints.

Sorry to hear about the loss sad.gifsad.gifsad.gif

Hi Ben

Bugger ohmy.gif

I have no probs with mine at high temps yet, they have been to 36*C

but mine are in more neutral water by the sound of the tank mates

I have seen where Juv Calvus have picked on Peppermint juvs to the

point of killing them, in a friends tank

cool.gif L2H

mad.gif Sad Loss Ben, but I don't think it was the temperature to blame. I have records here of peppermints breeding at 30C. My fish room regularly holds at 33C during summer (tank temps, air temp higher) and although some of the cool water species of Corydoras are uncomfortable and bristlenose stop breeding the only species I have given up trying to keep is C barbatus! I have killed so many of them due to high temperatures that I just don't bother with them these days.

Alan

Nathan made a very good point; at higher temps, the amount of dissolved oxygen drops, so that might have been a contributing factor (although in the distant past, my BN have been the only thing to survive when an air pump was accidentally turned off).

Hi Ben,

Sorry to hear your loss. sad.gif

My peps have gone to 36C with my discus when they (the discus)'re medicated. I found that peps aren't fussy and TOUGH! Tougher than common bristles, to me anyway.

Cheers,

biggrin.gif

DD

Archived