Dividing Tank

tricky

hi all, Im looking at putting a divider in one of my tanks. Was wondering whats the best material to use for the job? The partitioned part will be housing fry about 2 - 3cm. Is perspex the best material?, if so, does anybody know somewhere I can get it reasonably cheap? Bunnings want about $30 for a sheet shock.gif .

Thanks

Ricky

I find that making a flyscreen with rubber ends is the best and easiest method. Try Bunnings, they actually had some premade flyscreen for about $12 a year or so ago in 35cm width which suits a 14inch wide tank

Ash, I guess it depends on how you secure it, how deteriorated the flyscreen is and how big the fish are. I dont have any massive fish so it might do the job, not sure yet. I know if i was a 10cm pseudo i wouldnt be banging my head against a flyscreen.

Thanks for the tips. the bunnings tubs a great idea but unfortunately its my boys tank and he wants the babies in with the mummies but doesnt understand that daddy and the other mummies will eat the babies! So to keep him happy i thought i might divide his tank. Ive got another tank for the fry but hes not having two tanks in his room!

Thanks again for the tips.

Ricky

its my boys tank and he wants the babies in with the mummies but doesnt understand that daddy and the other mummies will eat the babies!

How cute! I might get a tank for my little men one day (3 year old and 10 month old)

I use perspex dividers with a hole cut in the centre and fly wire siliconed over the hole - it works well and means you don't need an extra heater...

I actually use that setup now to partition a 2x18x18 into three sections - one for growing fry and the other two for some holding females (a temporary measure until I get more tanks).

Cheers

Richard

Go to Go-Lo etc. any bargain shop and buy a small clear plastic bucket (2 litres or so), use non toxic silicon to attach some strips of styrofoam to the outside upper part under the rim (so it floats). Drill lots of small holes in the container (or for tiny fry cut windows and silicone patches of flyscreen over the windows.) Submerse in the adults tanks, add fry, add lid. Its that easy and wont cost you over $5. Fry get the water parameters they were born in, remove the lid to feed then replace, and when they outgrow or are ready to sell you simply pour the bucket and its contents into a bag. cool.gif

hey. i have 5 2foot tanks that i have divided. i have used metal gorse, i just siliconed that in and it works really well, you still get a good amount of water flow and you will only need the one heater

Archived