How to get rid of floating styrofoam bits?

novafishy

I've got a malawi tank and they keep nibbling on the styrofoam attached to the fry saver, until all these small bits of styrofoam are floating everywhere on the sides on the tank.

How do I prevent this from happening? As it is a nuisance to remove.

I think I can silicone the base of the stryofoam pieces. any other solutions?

Thanks! bigsmile.gif

Suggestion - I assume it's the larger fish outside the fry saver nibbling?

Fry would be less capable of tearing up the foam, yeah?

There are other types of foam you can use instead of polystyrene. Go and check out clark rubber.

A good alternative would be the pool "noodles" material that kids like to play with in the pool. I doubt a fish will chew bits of that off.

hey novafishy,,,what you might want to do is take out the styrofoam that way the fish dont nibble on it!,,isnt that a marvelous idea??? thumbup.gif

go buy a breeding tank,,its starts from $4 at www.aquariumproducts.com.au or $ 6 at any of those asian fish shops!

abit of money under $10 wont hurt!,,just miss one lunch meal!! LOL.gif

Silicon wine bottle corks instead of polystyrene foam. As long as you 'rough up' the icecream container or whatever they will adhere fine. I put 2 corks along each side and on at each end, never had any problems.

hey novafishy,,,what you might want to do is take out the styrofoam that way the fish dont nibble on it!,,isnt that a marvelous idea??? thumbup.gif

go buy a breeding tank,,its starts from $4 at www.aquariumproducts.com.au or $ 6 at any of those asian fish shops!

abit of money under $10 wont hurt!,,just miss one lunch meal!! LOL.gif

Some fish stress when taken out of their original water and transfered to another, so hench the fry saver.

Silicon wine bottle corks instead of polystyrene foam. As long as you 'rough up' the icecream container or whatever they will adhere fine. I put 2 corks along each side and on at each end, never had any problems.

It also happens with cork

Novefishy the best thing i can tell you is cover the fry saver(not the top opening) with pantyhose all you need to do is cut it so its like a sock then fit over the ice cream container

HTH thumb.gifthumb.gif

teflon Posted Today, 11:53 AM

QUOTE(goldfish @ Apr 28th 2005 @ 00:25 )

hey novafishy,,,what you might want to do is take out the styrofoam that way the fish dont nibble on it!,,isnt that a marvelous idea???

abit of money under $10 wont hurt!,,just miss one lunch meal!!

Some fish stress when taken out of their original water and transfered to another, so hench the fry saver

DOES this mean we shouldnt remove the fry from the tank it was born in?..How are we suppose to sell it then when we dont want it? confused.gif ,What if the glass cracks,we should let it rest on the remaining of water in the tank? clap.gif

How about if we do some water change?,fish will die?? dntknw.gif

Teflon -

Don't get narky sad.gif

Nova -

There are different densities of PS available... I think you need some think harder PS with a smaller "grain"

HTH -

Archived