Tropheus

Meredith

http://users.bigpond.net.au/steve.corbett/steves_tropheus/

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/tropheus_corner.php

these will help

Water quality is the most important factor

And also diet most people seem to stick to one food occasionally giving treats

I use (NLS) now, but used spirulina flake in the past, most use (OSI)

Ohh numbers big numbers, and don’t be shy! if you have kept fish before? get the tropheus you want don’t feel like you have to go for the cheapest option

HTH

Hi Meredith,

I have kept and bred a number of Tropheus variants over the past five years and took to them after much soul searching and reading everything I could get my hands on. Critiquing advice given and selecting what made sense.

I was asked to do a talk not so long ago for the NSWCS and have the notes to the presentation- if you are interested let me know and I will email them to you.

I also used Steve Corbett's site when first starting out and also many, many other internet articles that always went back to the basics of:

Water Quality (Filtration and water changes)

Food (good quality OSI spirulina or as some have suggested NLS - I am tempted to try in the near future) No soft proteins for these guys.

Safety in numbers - colonies of 15-20.

Minimum 4' tank - they need length not height - with appropriate decor

A good dose of luck.

If you want to talk before spending big let me know 0404 489 445

Cheers

Aline

Same as above...Excelent Water-quality, Good-quality food, good numbers & watch them eating.

There is no mystery/danger...don't believe the myths about how they all die and you spend loads of money.

All the reputable text & advice states the same thing.

Any notes you can get from Aline will be a huge help and Steve's Tropheus site is a superb place to start.

Go for it Meredith...they are a very rewarding fish if you stick to these, as outlined above, simple guidelines.

But nothing you read will help like talking to someone with experience and seeing a colony that is already up, running and healthy.

My biggest tip for begginers, with Tropheus, is to have some Bloat-medication on hand because inevitably as a newbie, to these different fish, you will(like I did) make mistakes. Just be sure you know what to look for as the early signs of bloat...which is why seeing a healthy colony is a good idea, IMO.

Archived