Peppermint bristlenose

Dragon_Lord_Tia

its not the $$ that attract me but there appearance i think they are heaps better looking then the ordinary bristlenose and in the right tank setup can look absolutely stunning. I cant wait to one day have some again .

I agree.

I've seen some in a very nice display tank at a friend's house. I saw one to 2 posts in the classifieds last week about Peppermint bristlenose and now there seems to be a surplus of wannabe breeders dry.gif . Fair enough if you really like the fish but come on guys....... get them because you like them not because of the moolah.

Regards

Paul

apart from the $$$$$$ what other attraction is their about these fish?

To me, it was their appearance, not their price. In fact, the first pair I bought, I though the shop had added up the price incorrectly, as the total for a pair, a dozen Cardinal tetras, some Congo tetras surely could come out to THAT MUCH! That was until I saw the breakdown of costs for the fish. Got them anyway.

cool.gif I have other ancistrus species that I paid a darn sight more for than I ever did for peppermints and no where near as attractive. Just another challange to see if I can get the blighters to breed.

My first couple of little bristlenose cost me more than my whole pay packet over 30 years ago. These days I breed a couple of thousand a year and am more than happy to get $1.00 each for them as they pay my food and power bills and enable me to spend rediculous $$$$$$ on other ugly catfish.

Alan

I had them back in 1988 when I first saw them, but ended up

losing them when my fishroom crashed thermostat stuck ON

(oil filled column heater) years ago, left the hobby for 5yrs

after that

Then I found them again biggrin.gif a few years back and started again

they are a lot cheaper than some of my other fish and I just like

the basic black with bright white spots and the Kelpheads on the

males when their bristles just sway with the current

They can be challenging to get to breed on a regular cycle

The good thing nowdays is that the fry seem more hardy to raise

than previously where they could roll over if the water wasn't just

right in hardness

There are more fish in the hobby so there must be more people

getting them to breed now which is why the prices have dropped

in Sydney over the past 2 years by $20 ea on juveniles

Yes, I would like to get some money back on the juveniles produced

but if it was simply that, I would know what the cost of keeping my

fish would be in power, water and food to the last cent

To me its just what it takes to keep them and any returns are accepted

cool.gif L2H

wow

I would know what the cost of keeping my

are you really that organized/anal Chris?

I'm at the extreme other end of the scale... I'd be hard put trying to work out how many pepps I'm supposed to have in the tank let alone exactly what the cost of buying and keeping 'em has added up to.

I used to keep records once upon a time until I realized it was deleterious to my enjoyment of the hobby.

As to why peppermints.... juvenile peppermints really are attractive little varmints. They have the same ugly/cute character as garden variety bristlenose but look so much sharper with the highly contrasting black and white.

Adults are less brilliantly coloured, losing some of the white trim on their tail and dorsal but still pretty smart when you get a look at them... which unfortunately isn't all that often *sigh*.

Laurie

You doing a journalism course blush.gif

but if it was simply that, I would know what the cost of keeping my

To me its just what it takes to keep them and any returns are accepted

Is what I wrote not just

I would know what the cost of keeping my

Cheeky bugger tongue.gif if I need something taken out of context I'll call you laugh.gif

cool.gif L2H

its becuase there are so few around compared to the ordinary bristlenose and unlike the ordinary bristlenose they are not so easy to breed hence why the price although it has dropped over the last few years it still remains for fry at about $10 per cm based on a private sale unlike the ordinary bristlenose which is $1 per cm. And they are not as hardy as the common ones and they take longer to reach maturity.

Hi,

Agree with Sarah.

The scale of difficulty in breeding rises dramatically with these little cats and the wait of 2-3 years till they reach maturity.

Add to that the initial cost and a great deal of patience keeps the numbers down and the cost high. It is coming down though.................. smile.gif

Cheers

Quick question, they are fabulous fish, but I don't understand why they are sooo expensive??? Can anyone explain?

I agree with all the others, but it is also what the market will bear; if no one was willing to pay high prices, the prices will not be high, or no one will breed them. Same as for artwork; there is no reason why one painting is worth a few hundred, whereas another is worth millions (besides being painted by someone now dead).

Archived