mouth female in breedingnet

prince

hi

i just caught a mouthfull eblue today and i think the fry are ready beacuse i can see fry in her mouth.

i am leaving her in a breeding net

just wondering will you still leave the female in there after she spat

or will you take her out?

Hi,

If you leave the fry in the breeding net the other fishes will suck them out of there. It is better to make a floating container with tiny holes so other fishes cannot get to them. Definitely, remove the female after she has spat.

Roland

i have a plastic container around the breeding net so the fish can't suck them out

when she spat should i put her back in the tank beacuse i don't have any other breeding net left for her 2 rest.

but i have a 2ft tank with 5cm hongi and catfish. should i let her rest there?

i have a plastic container around the breeding net so the fish can't suck them out

I hope you have some way of circulating the water in the plastic container? or you will lose the fry pretty quickly.

If you have a container around the net then it is OK.

I'm not sure that putting her in a 2ft tank with a hongi would be a good idea. A 5cm hongi can be pretty territorial already and in a smaller tank your electric blue female could be on the run all the time. You'll might be better off putting her back to the breeding tank if she is not too weak.

I normally keep my holding females in floating containers and when the fry are fully developed I strip them and place the fry to another floating container. I keep the female in her floating container for around 4 days and feeding her there to get her back to shape, before I reintroduce her to the colony.

Also, if you put back your female to your breeding tank make sure that you are doing that during feeding, so the other fishes attention is diverted.

Roland

Archived