overdue food okay to feed?

prince

I'm assuming you mean out of date food?

I don't think flake that is a month out of date will harm your fish. I think the main concern is that older food loses its nutritional value over time.

Can anyone confirm or correct me?

Its wont be as nutritious, and if it is oily food it may go rancid. If it has been stored ok (dry out of direct light) it will probably be OK to feed out.

If you absolutely have to, it should be fine to fill their guts and keep their metabolism going, but it will be of little-no benefit. Most times, dry food has lost all its nutritional value before we use it anyway. People have a tendency to buy larger containers to save money on a 'per feed' basis, but in actual fact may as well feed their fish the cardboard packaging by the time the tub is finished.

Out of date food should be fine provided it is not ridiculously out of date - and hasn't been open for too long. But the reality is, good quality foods are cheap! There is no reason to use stuff that should be thrown out.

I personally buy bulk flake - but freeze in snap seal bags with minimal air in portions to last me between 1-2 weeks. I think that way I get all the benefit of the quality, and all the bargain of the bulk, out of the foods.

yes blakey, it is because the preservatives / vitamins etc do break down over time. so the food essentially goes stale. if the food is not kept cool or is in the light this will happen much faster.

i would get new food

Archived