"Dislocated" Oscar Jaw With PIC

Vassili

Gday. While my pair of oscars have been going through the rigours of courtship, jawlocking has played a big part. Today whilst I was feeding the pair, I noticed that one of their jaws wasnt looking quite right. It seems that the lower jaw has been pushed over to the left. Instead of the lower jaw fitting under the upper, one side of the lower jaw is outside the upper. He is still feeding fine, even large food like prawns etc (he is about 7" long). It almost looks as if he just needs to fully open his jaw and pop it back in. Anyone else been in a similar situation? Chances of it popping back in?

Thanks everyone.

As long as the oscar can still eat, leave it, and see if it locates itself on it's own.

If you believe it's not getting any food and hasn't eaten in a week, it might be time to look at manually popping it back in.

It's a last resort option, as more often than not, you'll cause some permanent damage, but if it means it's able to eat again, it might be the only option.

Yep, he still eats, though with not as much, erm, voraciousness as before. He just had a big feed, couple of prawns, some pellets etc. But yeah, I'm not going to touch it until it begins to be a problem for him. I have taken some pics, allbeit bad ones, ill try and get some better ones later, and post em up.

user posted image

The poor thing certainly looks like he has been in a blue! I hope it gets better and you dont have to pop it back in sad.gif

Like ViS said, popping it back in myself will come as a last resort thing, for all I know, i could make it worse for the poor fella. If he stays happy (he is a bit sooky atm, but i think he is a bit uncomfortable), and feeds fine, then hey, who am I to mess with it blush.gif

Well coming from someone who has had multiple dislocations, getting it back in ASAP would be the biggest relief that fish has ever felt. That is if his jaw is anything like my shoulders and fingers... When something is dislocated, it doesn't work properly, and the surrounding muscles and tendons which are supposed to hold it in place stretch out of shape. The longer you leave the jaw out of place, the less likely the surrounding tissue is to return to normal shape.

That is my opinion based on human joint dislocation.

Well coming from someone who has had multiple dislocations, getting it back in ASAP would be the biggest relief that fish has ever felt. That is if his jaw is anything like my shoulders and fingers...  When something is dislocated, it doesn't work properly, and the surrounding muscles and tendons which are supposed to hold it in place stretch out of shape.  The longer you leave the jaw out of place, the less likely the surrounding tissue is to return to normal shape.

That is my opinion based on human joint dislocation.

Hmm, but how would one go about handling a 7" oscar? Ive never stripped any africans or anything, so my experience with handling fish out of water is limited.

I would leave it be.. and i wouldnt do the operation myself cause you could cause more harm than good. If the fish is healthy and doesnt seem to be affected by it just leave it. But if the problem persists and is causing the fish stress possibly need to do something such as take it for some help

I would leave it be.. and i wouldnt do the operation myself cause you could cause more harm than good. If the fish is healthy and doesnt seem to be affected by it just leave it. But if the problem persists and is causing the fish stress possibly need to do something such as take it for some help

True, if it turns into a problem, Ill take it to the Maroochydore fish vet (she does all the work on teh UnderwaterWorld fish). At the moment though, Im just going to leave it how it is and see what happens.

Archived