Mystery snail?

hungsta

:D Hi Nick,

I'll go for a walk around the paddock, see if I can pick up a few shells for you if they haven't all been chopped up by the mower. Empty shellsl just get chucked when we drain ponds. Contact me.

Alan

Thanks all, you really don't know how hard it has been to find someone with shells,

i didn't mean buying the snails with them still inside i am only after the empty shells as that would be cruel killing all those animals just fo their shell, i am very sorry if anyone thought thats what i was going to do!!!!!!!!

I am after as many as possible as they are great to have with my shell dwellers.

Thanks alot Alan i appreciate your help and i can't wait to get the shells!!!!!

If anyone else knows were i can get some shells from could they please let me know?

Cheers all,

Nick

• 1 month later...

hey hows it going ive been breeding these guys just as a hobby for about a year and a half the snails can do the themselves if u know what i mean i have them at the moment in a tank out side no heating or filtration just air i grabed a whole lot of plants from the nepean river which the snails love and i dont feed them at all but an excellant co partner for them is guppies breed them both at the same time and the fact that i have my tank outside i need something to keep away the mosqutio larve i feed the guppies flake so what ever they dont eat the snails do

the guppies are breeding like rabbits and at last count i had 31 clutches of snail eggs in about 1-2months not bad hey as for selling my local shop takes about 30 at a dollar fifty each every week or 2 wink.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Would that I could get $1 ea for mystery snails. My retirement plan would be complete. It is getting to the stage where I can't even sell them for 20 cents ea around here. And the price of 3 cm SL bristle nose catfish has just gone below $1 ea for the first time in 38 years of my breeding them. wub.gif

Alan

Thanks Alan, you are a wealth of information!!!

I bought some M snails to breed, put them in a 3x18x18 and then added my Guppys. I got 3 spawns in 2 weeks, did a water change, and then have had no more spawns for about a month or so.

Is it common for spawns to be infertile and not hatch?

Should I be breeding with only Gold snails to get gold snails, what I bought was a mixture of dark brown and gold ??

In Cabulture, can you keep neo tropical fish without artificial heat all year round?

Thanks again,

Craig Douglas.

The topic has been informative & the info in the link posted was great.

Is there anyone that breeds them and has some available that would be going to the NSWCC meeting this sat? I would be interested in getting some for my community tank, the kids would find them amusing (well, my daughter would go "oohh yuk, snails!!" laugh.gif ). And it would be interesting to follow the breeding cycle.

Regards,

Dave

Blacktown

dayndaveAToptusnet.com.au

0438 160 672

I don't think I would risk snails in with loaches. And the price the LFS's down there charge would be a rather expensive snack for Mr Clown.

What really surprises me is the interest this topic has stired. I have had mystry snails for as long as I can remember keeping fish. Back then they came in black or black ! Thes days there is an assortment of colours and combinations and rarely if ever see any black ones.

Alan

I have one in my main tank, it's about 3cm. The clown loaches I have (5 of them, some 10cm) don't seem to bother it at all. Even when it was totally buggered from laying a hatch as big as itself and was on the bottom with it's door open for days (I thought it had died myself and I though, 'oh well' got another 100 in another tank, clown loach food sad.gif ), they did not even touch it, it was a strange thing to me at the time. After a week it moved to the top of the tank and after another week it was 100% back to it's normal self.

On the other hand, if I put a common brown aquatic snail or an apple smaller than .5cm, the clowns will find it in under a minute, even if it's on the other side of the tank. They then pull the snail from it's shell and gobble it up with glee.

Archived