Breeding Triggers

Adrian09

Hey all,

I'm sure u've been asked a thousand times, but does anyone have any breeding triggers that seem to work? I have a fusco male all ready to go, or so it seems colour-wise, and a female of a good size for him and a slightly smaller female also. There just doesn't seem to be a great deal of interest, though the male has been hanging out above the female a lot. She has been sitting in a back part of the tank behind a rock, something she used to not do. Hope she is ok. Other than that he hasnt done his shake or anything, he sometimes will chase her, but otherwise just swims around. A few weeks ago i had to remove my male venustus as they were spawning with each other in the first day together. Maybe my fusco is just more interested in males hehe.

Any ideas would be welcome

Hi,

The behaviour you are observing between the males may not be spawning behaviour but two Alpha fish vying for dominance.

Is there anything else in the tank? Sometimes placing the pair on their own works, then again sometimes placing them where there is alot of competition also pays off.

I will take it as a given that you have already researched water parameters and substrate conditions for these guys so won't go there : smile.gif . I find that frequent water changes, where the tank temp drops a few degrees works with most of my breeding stock - I can guarantee a mouthful or two after water change day.

Live food for the omnivores also works wonders.

Add a dash of luck, alot of trial and error and they may reward you.

Cheers & Happy New Year biggrin.gif .

I have found that the warmer temps, coupled with some cooler water changes is getting my fish in the mood.

Problem being, I am not having the best of luck with fry lately. Not sure if I've done something, or if it is caused by higher/fluctuating temps sad.gif

Maybe u r right, but they were going around in circles over the spot they fusco had been digging, very much like spawning. A week later though they had a big punch-on. The fusco is at an absolute minimum 25cm and the venustus is about 15cm maximum. The fusco won but a day later the venustus was flashing his colours and parading around the tank again.

Doesn't matter now he is outta there but he fusco is still only mildly interested in the female. I have tried what u hav both suggested, it triggers a interest in the female for a while, it is also what triggered the last fight also.

Im from kings langley which is next to seven hills, Ducksta, what do u breed??

thanks guys, ill just have to leave it to trial and error this time i guess.

ps, what is an alpha fish? a dominant fish?

also in the tank is a sexually active placidochromis johnstonii male, though he too is yyoung, two small (4cm) livi's, bristlenose, 6 cm texan and a male and female compreciceps, both still relatively small. None of them, baring the johnstonii seem to be in the way and the johnstoni is more bark than bite, ie he starts a lot of fights that he runs away from with no intention of doing any damage

...all my mbuna have eggs after every water change! I fill my 4x2x2 & 6x2x2 one third with straight tap water. Sydney water is quite good PH straight up, never have I had a problem over two years!

Instead of trickling in the water, I use the spray setting on the hose nozzle. I think this tells them it might be raining and gives the fish the impression there will be more available water to spawn! This with extra food fools them also...works every time. Actually I now have an overload of fry!

Best of luck and I HTH

Danny cool.gif

Archived