what dose fungi come from

akaomar

if the eggs are being guarded by the father...theres a minimal chance or fungi, but most likely they were not fertilised...

but if you seperate the eggs and hatched it artificially then it is more likely to be fungi...

HTH

it would be easier if you told us the fish that have laid eggs..

eg. i keep cories and i have to raise it artificially so i use meth blue, but in your case it might be diff.

Omar -

Fungi are present everywhere (water included) as spores.

They are also extremely important organisms in global ecology and play a critical role in nutrient cycling worldwide.

The spores land on your eggs and germinate - that's why your fish fan/tumble their eggs to prevent this.

HTH -

hey guys.... :unsure

the fish omar forgot to mention are jack dempsies.....

mine as well this is the second time they lay eggs but no sign of hatching......

i already seperated the tank....

the weird thing is i had a pair of texas which spawned 2 weeks ago in the same water and now they have baies....... on their way to the 2nd attempt :p

well what's the problem with the eggs going white ????

the male and female are defending the eggs properly...........

what can be done to prevent this from happening ?????????

thx in adv......

c ya

:^:

I have the same problem with my convicts. I have moved the rock where the eggs are a little closer to an airstone so that there will be more airflow.

But unfortunately, as with the other time the eggs have now turned white and the convict has eaten them.

Hopefully we can all find an answer for this problem.

If eggs turn white it usually means that they weren't fertilised. Unlike in mamals, fertilisation of eggs, especially in substrate spawners, is a little bit of a hap-hazzard affair. If you have some fertilised eggs, and some infertile eggs, it is possible that the male wasn't aiming properly. :D

If none of the eggs have been fertilised, it could be that your fish are too young (and still practicing), in which case there is a good chance that your fortunes will soon turn, or that one or both of your fish have a fertility problem (in which case you can't really do much about it).

Fungus (the fuzzy white stuff) will usually grow on infertile eggs and the parents will usually pick them out and eat them, but not always. I found that even if the fungus seemed to grow all over even the fertilised eggs, the eggs still matured and hatched properly, even without methylene blue or similar treatments. Maybe just be patient and see what happens in a couple of days (or maybe 3 or 4, depending on temperature). You never know, you might be lucky.

Archived