Piercing frontie eyes

anchar

Hi all,

I just heard a conversation at a LFS which disgusted me. I thought I would share it with you and warn you about what lengths some people will go to for a dollar. Brace yourself - it's NASTY ohmy.gifohmy.gif .

I heard (a reliable source IMO) that a certain frontie breeder here in Perth, pierces one eye of all his breeding female fronties. He reckons that it forces them to turn in circles in one direction when they are spawning, hence maximises the number of eggs that she picks up. How abhorrent is that???!!!! mad.gifmad.gif

I know the person and was sickened by the story. I will no longer have dealings with him. He breeds many fish (not just fronties) and sends them east, so I suggest that if you are buying (fronties in particular) you try to avoid lining this ar**hole's pockets.

merjo mad.gif

Maerjo, that is gross mad.gifmad.gif There are some sick bas*ards in this world.

Tell me though, how can we stop supporting this person if we don't know who it is????

Maybe you should pay them a visit to see if the story is actually true or not. Even reliable sources can get things wrong.

He reckons that it forces them to turn in circles in one direction when they are spawning, hence maximises the number of eggs that she picks up.

Gee, sounds like that's based on real sound, scientific evidence (NOT).

It's disgusting that someone would do it, but it makes it just that little bit worse that it's done for a stupid reason. If having one bung eye actually increased spawns then natural selection would take care of that and we'd probably have one-bung-eye fronties in the wild. How stupid. mad.gif

Jess

Thats just disgusting! Youre there on the spot - can you arrange other members to check this out to verify this practise?

If its verified we should boycott this shop 100% (personally I'd rather just kick his evil buM!) but unless we have genuine evidence the sleeze will get away with it.

Nick mad.gif

Hello Merjo, I think there's a big possiblity they were full of crap there mate - I hope so anyway - fronties are about the only fish that I know of that kind of reverse to pick up their eggs then go forward a bit again with vent on substrate and lay one to three more eggs, reverse again and so on. They do a few donuts when male is fertilizing though. I've been breeding fronts for seven years and all the fish I've had have done this - also had a few with one bung eye (not by me) and they swim fine - both ways!

So I'd reckon anybody that claims to be doing this hasn't bred fronties. Just my opinion mate.

Regards, Steve.

Hi Steve,

I see your point and hope that you're right, but I believe that where there's smoke there's fire. Let's hope that they are a forum user and develop a guilt complex (if that is possible for someone who can perform such cruel acts dry.gif ).

merjo

ps. The fishies are on the mend; the eyes are clearing and the fins are slowly coming back - Melafix, Melafix, Melafix!!!! Still only the big guy lost....phew. Nice fish BTW. Thanks.

There was a small article in the SMH some months back about some of the cheap practices u in Asia to calm fish before transporting them, one of the methods mentioned was piercing both eyes. It also said that fish eyes recover quickly and by the time the fish had reached their destination and had been retanked for a week or so they looked perfectly fine to be sold.

I was appalled at the article and wrote to the editor complaining that they could print such outrageous material, also I sent the article to the RSPCA, but they replied saying they found issues that didn't happen in Australia or too Australian animals difficult to deal with, but they would look into it.

Hey, Personally I believe that peircing the eyes of any fish is cruel, in fact it is just as bad as "painting" fish, but lets face it, anyone on this forum should consider that ever since domesticating animals, humans have been tampering with them. Wheather it be genetically or physically. Aribians used to cut their horses ears into different shapes and some people who breed chickens will cut their combs (the red thing on top of the chickens head) into different shapes. Now consider this Animal rights how can you be against 1 wrong against animals and not another? Obviously peircing the eyes of a fish is uncalled for and lets face it; dumb. But why does that mean we should overlook the rights of other animals. I had an agricultural class last year in school and one lesson we saw young cows castrated without any form of Anisthetic. And yet I am sure alot of you are enjoying some meat right now, or perhaps your dog is next to you? YOUR DOG WITH A DOCKED TAIL! now please reconsider every aspect of your arguments.

Alistair

Well most stupid people do not care for "living" things. This type of behaviour is seen everywhere. One of my mates went to a house where his friend was feeding the peoples pets (on holiday). They had a bucket without a filter or heater with two medium sized angels. One had stopped eating and no doubt the other will soon. I heard this story the day after i had to rescue a stray running straight into traffic. Some people........

hi merjo i am totaly sicken at what people would do for a dollar.money! thats what it comes down to, better breeders more money$$$$$.

is there a breeders list or a council lience they can be removed from so they cant trade.

rob

Archived