Dwarf Pacu

benno

Well as im getting closer to setting up my new 6x2x2 American cichlid tank. I was thinking about which non cichlids i would like to add to my tank. I was looking in my lfs the other day when i noticed that they had got some pacus in. I asked about them and the guy said they they were a dwarf variety and that they only grow to about 9 inches. This was some of the best news i had heard in a while as i have always wanted a pacu but have been a bit put off by the potential size of the larger ones. Anyways i was just wondering if anyone on the forums has had experience with this fish and if they could tell me a bit about them as i am really interested. They will be sharing a 6x2x2 aquarium with 1 oscar 2 severums and a Port acara and possibly a male Green terror. So any info and past eperiences with them would be great thanx guys, Benno

benno, I suggest requesting the scientific name, I have seen alot of fish sold as dwarf pacu, and most of them are just regular run of the mill pacu.

There are a smaller variety of closely related fish which some people say resemble pacu, I disagree, I think they are much better looking, but the name slips my mind at the moment.

benno, I suggest requesting the scientific name, I have seen alot of fish sold as dwarf pacu, and most of them are just regular run of the mill pacu.

There are a smaller variety of closely related fish which some people say resemble pacu, I disagree, I think they are much better looking, but the name slips my mind at the moment.

LOL RBP's? They only get 12"... LOL.gif pity they are noxious.

I have seen Spotted Silver Dollars sold as Pacus recently in Perth so they may be your best chance as I think a major wholesaler had them listed recently wink.gif

HTH,

-Sutto

They are metynnis maculatus. They're more related to the silver dollar, but calling them a Pacu seems to catch more attention. angry.gif

U must admit that if they had called it "Spotted silver dollar" u wouldn't have looked twice. LOL.gif .... and it wouldn't have ended up in the tank buster section.

End up looking like fish in this link...

http://www.akva.wz.cz/images/119.jpg

kev

this is an example of misleading advertising bordering on fraud ,there is no way a spotted silver dollar will grow to9 inches,possibly around half this, also this fish is not a pacu and never will be ,this is obviously a lfs with bad business practices out for a quick buck ,pm me their name please so they wont get my patronage

there was a post on this subject a few months ago and my latest discovery is 10 cm texas cichlids being sold as jade flowerhorns for $125!!!!! disgraceful!!

I went and saw these fish again today they look exactly the smae as the pics that have been provided. I dont think i will worry about it anymore i may as well save myself $30 per fish and just get silver dollars. Benno

These fish are Metynnis sp. maculatus.

They are being bred in Queensland and sold nationwide by a large Victorian wholesaler called Aquarium something...or is it something Industries...I can't remember sad.gif

Anyway when they first started selling these fish they called them "Metynnis sp. Red Bellied Pacu". The LFS and the ill-informed consumers LOVED IT...Later after a few must have...complained, or told them of their mistake, they had a little write up in the price list declaring them to be a "dwarf" Pacu species. They are somewhat related to Pacu (they're both Characins), but closest related to run of the mill Silver Dollars.

What I want to know is this: Did the breeder misinform the wholesaler? Or did the wholesaler slap the name on as a marketing ploy?

Whatever...they are a very interesting fish, like all the large Characins. Well worth having yes.gifsmile.gif

Archived