saratoga compatability

barnesy

gday guys.

after seeing novafishys saratoga im thinking of getting one.

can 2 go in the same tank (standard 6)

do they breed in captivity?

any info on these guys would be good. both jardini and Leichardti.

what is more rare?

can they go in with an arrowana?

thanks in advance

thumbup.gif

two can go together but they may have fights and the dominant one might kill the weaker one... i suggest only one though.

very hard to breed in tanks but can be achievable but very rare and patients, time and a big tank required.

they are both common, but i see more jardinis about as they look a bit better with a bit more colour when fully grown... (subjective)

they like soft, neutral to slightly acidic waters (7- 6.5)

keep your lids and small holes covered (number one killer)

jardinis and leichardtis are an arowana, an australian one smile.gif

http://www.geocities.com/heartland/park/4724/

Tam

J's are slightly more expensive because they only breed in warmer climate further north. L's will breed as far south as Brisbane, SE Qld. They are seasonaly (breeding in the summer) and price will vary at different times of the year.

Your best change of keeping more than one is to buy young of the same species from the same batch and introduce them to the tank together.

Not any chance breeding them in a tank, breeding adults are just too big. Here is a farm I was at which bred L's on the Sunshine Coast.

user posted image

Ive know someone who succesfully keeps 2 liechardtis 1 oscar, 1 salmon cat, 1 large pleco and 4 silver dollars together in a 6x2x2. They have been like this for over a year as well and live very peacefully. And i do know that the togas are over 40cm the oscar is full grown and so are the 2 catfish as well. So it can be done, Benno

benno, if those catfish are full grown, he wouldn't have room for water in the tank, let alone other fish. Amazing that everybody gets excited about RTC and TSN etc but they think a 12-18" Australian catfish is big, or full grown woot.gif

In the wild, saratoga (well all arowana) are solitary fish, certainly not schoolers. It is very rare to catch multiple arowana from the same area in a short amount of time, as they are highly aggressive and extremely territorial toward other surface dwellers.

Obviously in tank situations it works for some, but I think alot of people who have failed in their attempts keep their experience secret.

Archived