Buffer and Salts

Ducksta

After talking about this with alot of people, I have realised that nobody seems to use a common measure for dosing these products. I have heard anywhere from 1 tablespoon to 18 teaspoons of buffer to do a 200ltr water change.

So what do you use?

Ducky it depends how high you want the KH to be. As for the rift lake salt that also depends how hard you want the water. dntknw.gif I use 10 t/s of rift lake salt and 20 t/s of buffer for 220lt. This gives me what I need to keep the fish happy. LOL.gif

Well if you want to make the water to what the lake is at peak breeding times then you would need to put 20t/s of rift lake salt and 24t/s of buffer. Thats for Sydney tap water where I live. I suggest you test your water and see what the KH and GH is and ajust it to what ever you want. Its not all that important for the fish only for breeding also some species do better in low reading others high like Tropheus.

Nigel you have totally misunderstood my reasoning for the thread (although your information will be valuable for others)

I already have all my fish breeding, and breeding well, to the point where I could not physically cope with larger fry production. I am already letting alot of my females spit in tank because I can't raise the fry, and I am them stripping tanks back and harvesting more surviving fry than I can imagine, and I only use salts/buffer in some of my tanks, not all.

I don't intend to change anything (I feel I would be crazy to). My question was simply to gauge how other people dose, just for interests sake.

And FYI when I do use them I dose at about 1TBS (yes I can't be bothered counting little spoons) salt, and 1/2-3/4 TBS buffer per 60ltr. And I don't keep any Tang's.

Archived