Going to the Gulf next year

Dragon_Lord_Tia

me and about 20 other guys are going to the gulf for 3 weeks and i was wondering what fish would i find out that way?

i know one thing too look out for is the crocs unsure.gif seem to be taking a few humans lately lol(although thats not funny at all)

oh i would love to keep a saratoga boy would i lol id look after him really good mr lol

not looking forward too the heat no air con in the tents lol damn

and their will be lots of pics smile.gif

Hhmmm...

ok.

Food-wise the Mangrove Jacks are probably as good a fish as you will eat and they are a hellish, pound/pound, fighter too. Alround great fish.

If you cast from the shore with poppers and surface lures, specially if you use your polarised sunnies, you should be able to target some trevally and mackrel on a rising tide. If you hook up on a good GT(Giant Trevally) you will be ready to come home the next morning. laugh.gif

You haven't said what type of fishing you intend to do. Salt-Water Fly? Spinning reel? Tolling...do you have a vessel that is croc-worthy?? lol

I have a few mags and books I can look thru for ya that might help so try to give me a few more specifics and I'll see what I can tell ya.

we have 3 boats and we will be doing both fresh and salt water fishing cause you can only get th big fush during the tides coming in or out 2 hours each or around that.

i havent been able to pick up a pair of those sunnies(good quality) but when i see them ill take them right away

thats the one reason 17 yrs is our limit for kids CROCS and maybe the heat its not realy them swiming but if they happen to fall or trip near the water they hurt them selves and wont be able to move back fast enough not to get seen well something like that.

but i was shocked when we had to tell this guy in the N.T they we will be their and it took 2 weeks for him to get back to us to say we can go huh.gif

Ahhh...a City person.

Isolation is a very real thing in the middle of nowhere. It is best to plan you fishing tackle, etc, etc, very well coz there will be no shops to get something you forgot. You will find that you don't need to leave the country for a culture shock if you have never been "out the back of beyond" laugh.gifbiggrin.gif

As for the sunnies. Try your State Cancer Council, in WA I get my polarised sunnies for $30 and they look the same as the ones the speciality shops want to charge me $180 for.

Is the trip a Fishing Trip or family holiday? Have you chartered the boats "Wet" or "Dry"??

If you are just going fishing with your own boats take some light gear to catch your live-bait with and some varying "Poppers" and trolling & shallow diving lures and a couple of good "Spinners" for the snag's and overhangs at the river-mouths/Mangroves. I would think in the open water, over sand, you should be able to target the Trevally's and Mac's with poppers and surface lures.

In the snaggy in-shore area you should be able to get a mix of the open water and mangrove/river type fish like the MJ's and Barra and this would become more prominently riverine-types as the tide/terrain change. Snaggy stuff would siut spinners and divers but there is no reason a MJ, Barra or Toga won't hit a popper.

So use a mix of stuff coz there is never one lure that will catch all fish and you have to be prepared to adapt to the conditions as they change.

Sorry for the ramble. rolleyes.gif

HTH

im not organizing the boats etc ive got the food but they have been going for years so id say they have a good idea i hope

i work at W.A were its usually 48oCs at newman or portheadland but in my room i have air con and chefs to cook my dinner lol

anyone know a temp range around that place im picking 1000 to 10 000 oCs lol

how are we going too keep the beer cold ohmy.gifsad.gifsad.gif

Howdy DLT, I used to go up there every year for a month or so in the late dry. Kids and business has put a hole in that for the last few years though. Generally you'll find a lot better fishing on the territory side of the border (due to their heavy restrictions on pro fishos and care of fish stocks) Try contacting wollogorang station - great fishing for all of the estuarine species and good access to the open gulf. A few good all rounder lures are 90mm scorpions (gold), the beefed up Aussie versions of nilsie spearheads (if in doubt chuck a spearhead out wink.gif gold bombers plus some poppers and fizzers. Fish the estuaries on the springs(low tide usually the best) and the open water (or explore the fresh) on the neaps.

Take a heap of 10kg gelspun line and 30kg leader material. Above all have your sh.t together regarding communication, vehicle recovery gear, basic stocks and a heapa common sense and you'll have a great time.

Regards, Steve.

Archived