Blue Ocellatus Tank

dan_thefish_man

Hi all,

I have 5 juvenile blue ocellatus and they are about to get a tank all to themselves. My question is what is neccessary for the tank. e.g. Do they really need a light, do they REALLY need a heater and what would be the best filtration for baby blue ocellatus? I am currently looking at a very Very VERY small powerhead?!

Cheers

user posted image

Hi Dan,

This is a pic. of my occie tank which houses 2 male and 4 females. It is 36" x 24" x 14".

MerjosAquaria

MerjosAquaria

The height is not important, but the surface area (bottom space) is. They breed constantly. You need stacks of shells and rocky structures to define territories (even then the odd blue unsues) and I use corner sponge filters (2). A power head would be too much in my tank. A power head would probably also take the microworms and small food particles away from the newly hatched guys.

I also have broken shell and small rubble on the floor so that the young can hide from those other than mummy and daddy.

I have a light (so that I can see) but it's probably not essential (although fry do seem to grow faster in lit aquariums, for me anyway) and no heater from Dec to April (Perth). Rest of the year the tanks are heated.

HTH

merjo

Merjo has gave u mainly all the info needed, i think a standard 2ft would be the minimum tank size to house these guys. Are u planning on keeping them as a group or are u removing the leftovers once a pair has formed?

lee

THanks guys. I was going to have 2 pairs with rock structure to block at least line of sight. when the babies are about a month old remove them from the larger tank, to the grow out tank (clean bottom) and when they are old enough to sell, well....sell em smile.gif

Thanks Again

Archived