Colac / Honeycomb rock

tfoster

Went to my local super soil and noticed they have this rock available in flat feature pieces. It looks really good, but I'm unsure of it properties and how well it would work in tanks.

For those not sure of the rocks, they get used for garden edging an retaining walls.

I have some at home and split a few with a mash hammer and cold chisels, have got some nice peices from them but still want to make sure. The rocks are light due the the air inside them, but i am concerned that they may contain chemicals etc that will leech into the water and cause fatalities.

Any suggestions. I will upload pics if i can.

Cheers

Tim.

The geology of Colac is chiefly comprised of basalt. It is unreactive in a fish tank but because of it's porisity you need to be sure that it hasn't drawn up any chemicals from its surroundings. The honey-comb effect is due to the trapped pockets of air in the cooling magma (lava). Sometimes these holes can have mineral inclusions (zeolites) in them. Generally speaking they are harmless to your fish. As has already been suggested, check the FAQ...I know there are articles and posts in there pertaining to basalt.

merjo smile.gif

Archived