DIY Backgroud

chrisandelana

Thanks for the comments.

Unfortunately I do not have the time to go into production of these walls, however don't be afraid to have a go - it was easy to do with a little planning.

In regards to the epoxy - yes it is a 2 part solution. The brand of epoxy used was "Fibreglass A/Asia" and is their own manufacture. They were much cheaper then any of the imported resins from the USA. $30 v's $100. Besides the shop in Willoughby they also have premises at the address below.

The colour of the resin is almost clear and very glossy. You can make it any colour you want by adding different coloured oxides to the resin and by using a sand or gravel colour that you want to match to your substrate.

Fiberglass (A/Asia) Sales Pty. Ltd.

2 Lincoln St.

Minto, Bahrain 2566

Phone: +61 298 2011 44

Fax: +61 296 0323 14

Email: fiberglass@bigpond.com

Regards,

Chris

Thanks... I'll have to have a stab i think... thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Man Fishtanks are like cars!!!!

always something to do and continually cost money blink.gif

I just have to work out where the turbo goes onto this wall now... hmmm wink2.gif

• 2 months later...

Just cruising through the pages & came across this.

Anyone know how it's going now?

Looks absolutely terrific & so much simpler than using concrete. How feasible would it be with a couple of rather large boofheaded Oscars (or similar) crashing their way around? No, I don't have psychotic fish....I'm talking about when they are chasing live food around.

Best regards,

Troy.

Hi All,

The background is still in tact and shows no sign of degrading. The background has developed a covering of algae which makes it look even more natural. Most of my fish are piscivores so I have not had any experience with harsh algae grazers picking at the wall, however I do have 3 x Bristlenose cats in there who do graze on the wall often.

If you want to keep a few "rough and tumble" type fish in there I would perhaps add another 1-2 layers of epoxy for extra strength.

In regards to using this in the DIY section - I am very pleased that you think it is up to scratch and you have my permission.

Archived