Frontosa tankmate

bimbo

I am setting up a 5x2x2 tank which will house a colony of frontosa when i eventually get it all finished. I am just doing a bit of research atm but was wondering what catfish would go well with them

i have been thinking about possibly some sailfin pleco but am a bit concerned about water conditions, i know they survive but are they happy in rift lake water?

another possibility was a type of Syno sp. i was looking on the net the other day that looked similar to multi's but the name started with p....., can't remmember what it was.

anyone got any other suggestions (other than bristle nose rolleyes.gif ). The catfish do not have to breed either (but it would be nice)

thanks in advance

James

Hi Bimbo

Is it S.petricola you are thinking off ? these are a dwarf form like S.multipunctatus

I would suggest they would be fine so long as they are not small enough to fit in the Frontosa's mouth

People have successfully kept Plecs and Gibbiceps with Frontosa

I have seen people keep and breed Bristlenose with them

Can you advise water parameters, as these seem to vary from 7.5pH and low kH/gH to water buffed to 9.0 and like liquid concrete

Most catfish will adapt but some things are just too far from acceptable

remember that not all Synodontis are rift lake and the riverine ones will secrete mucus when water conditions irritate them

cool.gif L2H

Hi Bimbo smile.gif I have some lge long-finned Erputas cats (spelling) with mine and they make for good companions as i find they are active & funny too ... Besides

they are a lil different ... Gibbies would prolly be my next choice (apart from tiger shovel noses smile.gif ) but they are slobs .. sleep1.gifsleep1.gifsleep1.gif good luck .

Andy...

Hi, Bimbo

i currently have 2 sailfin pleco in a standard 6ft with my frontys

time to time the biger male frontosa will fight with the plecos over a cave biggrin.gif

so just make sure there is enough caves or hidding for the fish

Regards

Tommy

Hi, I have 10 adult S. petricola and 3, 4-5cm peppermint bristlenose with 16, 4 inch 7 bar frontosa (S. Thompsons stock) in a 7 foot tank and they are all going fine to date.

The S. petricola love to feed off the slime that grows on the frontosas side. They behave like little remoras cleaning them from time to time.

Hope this helps. smile.gif

thanks everyone for the suggestions

water will be typical lake tang mix, high ph etc. wanna keep it as close to a tang biotype aquarium as possible.

to start with i will be getting about 10 0r 12 6 bar frontosa at about 1 1/2 -2 inch(so i can afford them) so to start with size won't really be a problem but i would like to have perminant tank mates, ie they would stay in there for as long as they live.

i have been thinking about a school of syno sp. as they seem to be a bit more active and interesting to watch. i perticularly like the petricola simply because of the colour pattern and i also read somewhere that they can be bred in the aquarium without a host(like used for multis) is this right?

anyway keep the suggestions comming, you might suggest something i hadn't even thought of yet

thanks James

Gibbiceps, Plecos and Bristlenose and if you can afford them you could buy up to 10 peppers and try get a big colony going in a few years along with the fronts.

Good idea Bimbo, S.petricola don`t need a host to breed but an upsidedown pot on a bowl of marbles is required to collect their eggs/fry. The other great point about S. petricola is they never stop swimming like their closest relative S. multipunctatus. Peppermints should get rather cheap in the next couple of years as there are a few fry getting around now.

Last time I heard they were $28 each at Bayfish Farms (wholesaler) at Narangbah near Brizzy. Reatailers usually whack on 300% but you may find them in shops for $60 if your lucky. wink.gif

I have to say don't consider Peppermints for the Tang tank

as most Loricardae are best kept in pH less than 7.8 with low

carbonate hardness <7*kH

Especially if you intend getting to the upper reaches in water

parameters of over 8.0 pH and high calcium hardness for the

Tangs

They are adaptable but I think this is asking too much

Stick with the Rift Lake Syno's

Just my opinion

cool.gif L2H

Archived