Cycling Question?

MoliroMan

Hi!

I finally got my 4 foot 400L tank with mini-reef/sump (2800L/h 2foot)for my Tropheus Ilangi!!!

I was wondering if i should put some cheap fish to cycle the tank?

Or

Should i just place my 2 Eheim Prof II that have been cycling in other tanks for 2 months to the new tank and place old water to the new tank, adding a few Ilangi each week (adding a few ilangi straight away?)?

Coral sand substrate is new!

Thanks

Dave

Eheim Prof II – are they the big rectangular ones? 2213 or something isn't it?

If you have had your two Eheims on another tank as you say, you have a fully cycled filter, that is capable of maintaining a similar number of fish in the new tank, that it is doing in its current tank. Assuming you are using one of the chambers with efisubstate that came with the filter?

If you add ‘a few Ilangi each week’, you will effectively be starving the bacteria you have wisely cultivated. You don’t mention what size tank the filter was on, nor its fish load, nor the tank size and eventual fish load of your new tank? You also don’t mention the size or number of your Tropheus dntknw.gif ?

You new tank will of course not have any bacteria in the tank itself, and being as we’re dealing with Tropheus here, you need to take ALL steps to try and ensure that you don’t get a case of bloat thumb.gif .

If I were you, I would clean the filter, ensuring the biomedia if dirty is only cleaned in aquarium water. I would put the filter on the tank, the tank’s water should has all parameters the same as what the Tropheus have come from. The simplest way here to do this is to use as much of the tank water were the Tropheus currently, are in your new tank. I don’t know what the Tropheus are currently with? Perhaps they are in a tank on their own? If this is the case, I would take all the tank water and put it into the new tank, toping up as needed. Not for anything to do with the bacteria (the filter has that covered), but simply so the water is as similar as to where they have come from as to where they are going to.

I would put all the Ilangi in at the same time, this will help with aggression levels, and prevent extra aggression on the latter introduced fish. It will also make sure your filter’s bacteria are fully fed.

In addition, if you want to be REALLY cautious, the new tank where the Ilangi are destined – I would leave it fully set up (excluding filter), and sit with the lights turned on 24 hours a day, to get a great crop of algae growing for the Tropheus when introduced.

In addition, another thing I would consider doing is to add some bacterial starter when you put the filter on the tank and the fish in. Why? Because is sure as heck can’t hurt! And at the least will give a coating of bacteria in the tank itself.

Lastly…..when you add the fish, I would be inclined to drip acclimatise them.

If the new tanks water is in any way different from where they have come from, for example, if you have added all the water from their old tank into their new tank, and have come up short and been forced to add more, or if for example as you mention, the new tank has new coral sand and perhaps the old tank had none (?), or for example, you haven't picked up the fish from where you intend to purchase them.... any difference that are still in existence with you new tank, drip acclimatisation will alter the new fish slowly to these difference.

Craig

thanks Craig for the detailed response!

I have already taken the plunge and placed all 38 Tropheus Ilangi 5-8 cm into my 4 foot curved glass tank (total 450L including sump - sump is 2ft).

The Tropheus came from 2 tanks. Each tank has been overfiltered (one aquaclear 120, EHEIM 2213 and EHEIM 2236; other tank - overhead trickle filter 1200Lph and two 2217). From each tank i removed 2 well seeded Eheim Prof II 2028 (each 1080Lph). Each tank about 120L (one 20inch cube, the other 30inch Aquaone). The cube tank had 20 tropheus and the 30inch 30 tropheus!! U can understand why they needed a new tank.

I am using Sera Nitivec daily for 10 days to keep the nitrifying bacteria levels up. I have added some Texas holey rock from the old tanks to the new including a coral rock with a good layer of algae. Also added some Val to the new tank.The tropheus seem to be doing well.

However, the remaining 12 Tropheus r divided into 6 each into the 2 old tanks. They seem to be very nervous and hiding under the rocks all the time, but still eating. I might just leave one tank for fry and add all the Tropheus into the one tank. The question is, how do i get the remaining tank to continue being cycled with only one golden sucker catfish?

thx

Dave

Also, i have ordered a Durso Standpipe for my new tanks weir to help reduce noise!

However, the remaining 12 Tropheus r divided into 6 each into the 2 old tanks. They seem to be very nervous and hiding under the rocks all the time, but still eating. I might just leave one tank for fry and add all the Tropheus into the one tank.

If I were you, I’d be included to put all the remaining 12 fish in together, as the numbers will be better for them, and it may prevent their hiding. (maybe their numbers are too small to provide enough of a security blanket with only six fish?).

The question is,how do i get the remaining tank to continue being cycled with only one golden sucker catfish?

1. You only need to maintain the cycling of a filter. If you had two filters on the tank with 12 fish, you could swap one with the filter on the tank with the sucker catfish when it came time to put babies in there.

2. You could put some fish in there that won’t affect Tropheus young, such as leptosomas.

Craig

Just on a side note, ive found sera nitirvec to be completely useless. Amtrite down works wonders.

At the time I couldnt get Amtrite so I bought Sera Nitrivec, didnt alter the water chemistry at all! Double dosing everyday for 3 days! In goes 1 double dose of Amtrite down and BOOM! everything starts dropping within 12 hours. Amazing stuff!

In a 20" cube you could only put the smaller species of leptosomas. In regards to numbers, remember, this is not meant to be another display tank is it? You said you intended to put Tropheus fry to grow out, so don't try to fully stock it to the max it can hold with leptos. All you want to do is keep the system ticking over.

Just thinking about it. Get some Mystery snails. Feed them, and they will keep you system ticking without any fish. These snails also won't get into plague proportions, and you can sell off any excess. They would be good companions for your Tropheus too.

I use these snails in 10 litre grow out tanks, to eat left over food, and to keep something in there for the bacteria when tank is empty of fish.

Make sure you put food in for the snails though, as they can eat quite a bit. And especially make sure they are well feed before you put fish back in after a period of abstanace. I have found hungry snails will attack and kill really young fish (still with egg sack, or a few days after it has gone) if they have not been fed for some time. If feed, they do not go after young.

Craig

MrOrange....might take up your advice on using Amtrite down. But unfortunately i am buying a 5L bottle of Sera Nitrivec!!!!

Craig....i think i lost the plot since i consider all my tanks display tanks. Didn't think of snails. Might be a good idea. But it may be a bit dull with no fish in the tank. How about julidochromis....will they eat tropheus fry? Apart from the fact their diet is different.

Dave

I found Nitrivec, Amtrite down and stres zyme to be the best 3 to use all the other brands imo are useless.

Nitrivec i have only used a few times and so far im impressed with it, i still use amtrite down on a few tanks as well.

From my experience, Julidochromis can be VERY aggressive. I would be concerned about putting Tropheus straight from the mouth, into a tank where Julidochromis call home. And yes, their diet is completly different, which by itself would rule them out for me.

I guess it is my subjective view point, but I would have no problems with the tank being empty for a bit. Maybe you have your tank in a ‘display’ sort of location, which is kind of pushing you to have fish in it?

One of my 10” grow out tanks is currently empty except for a few mystery snails – I have no problem with that, but maybe that’s a subjective opinion as I said?

People put rainbows in their African tanks as dither fish – perhaps you could consider them if you must have fish in there? I personally find the mystery snails quite interesting. In your position, I would just sit tight with them in the tank until I could put young Tropheus in there.

With the number of adults you have, I can’t see it being long before you have young to put in there.

Craig

Hi Craig,

i think i will just leave the tank empty until i get some fry. In the meantime i might try those mystery snails.

Where do u buy them? Do they carry any disease that can spread to tropheus? What do u feed them? How many would i need?

thx

Dave

Not aware of any transferable diseases.

What do you feed them? Everything and lots of it. They eat heaps, and get up a head of stream to get to it when hungry. Don’t neglect feeding then as they won’t last if you do.

Shops sell them, or you can get some from me if you want to make the trip to Menai.

Craig

those mystery snails sound quite fun and mysterious! Are they able to get to flake food floating on the surface? clap.gif

i would luv to visit u in Menai one day and see your fish room ( i assume u have one?).

What tropheus do u keep?

Dave

Archived