feeding agression

onlyme

We often discuss physical agression, but no one ever seems to talk about feeding agression in mixed species tanks.

I bought a dozen or so very nice A latifaciatas from a very good source. Put them in a 2.5x1.5x1.5 tank with about 30 L fuels. I lost one lat after about 3 or 4 days, these things happen, all looked good so didn't really check them for a fortnight or so. The smallest lat was bigger than the biggest fuel. When I finally did check the tank properly I had lost all but one of the lats. A day later lost the last lat. As we do when these things happen I did all the tests and drew a blank and had lost no fuels, so the loss was unexplained. I even went to the trouble of inspecting a few dead ones with a 10 power magnifying glass and could see no physical damage.

I put 10 small D comps in a 5x1.5x1.5 thank with a lot of other fry I had bred or purchased over a period of time. Over about 8 or 10 weeks I lost all the the dimis in an otherwise healthy tank.

After watching 4 large dimis eat in the same 5' tank but now with only about 20 advanced Malawis in it the problem dawned on me. These guys are well manered, non competitive feeders as are most likely the lats! Both losses were caused by starvation? Anyone any comments?

Craig.

Hi Craig,

I had both latifasciatas and fuellebornis before. I do not beleive that the fuellebornis would have been too agressive. I think the latifasciatas are quite agro Victorian cichlids and would stand their place. I had them even with Melanochromis chipokaes 4 times their size. Besides, the latifasciatas are quite a pigs, eat a lot.

I really do not know your problem, but it is definitely not the other fishes. (Same with your dimis). Could be the water quality???

Archived