Electric Yellow Breeders?

Kazaf

I have 1 large male Electric Yellow at 10cm, a female electric yellow at 8cm and another at 7cm. For those people that has bred Electric Yellows before, help me out here. Can they breed at these size difference? And is a slate or flat surface required for them to spawn and breed? And what are the signs of breeding?

Yup they can breed.

Flat surface ... well mine are in a bare bottom tank so can't compare there, my Lab. Hongi breed on sand bottom in caves though.

Signs of breeding ... male will display to female (shimmy shake), female will respond (follow to male's selected breeding site), they do circling when they are actually spawning (and may circle when not spawning).

When I first added the male into my tank, I did notice the male shaking alot. It shook it's tail when the female is behind him, but she would run away maybe because of his size? The male is abit bigger in size but the legnth is just 2cm difference. The male has tried many times shaking its tail but the females has ran away, I think the male has given up on trying. ;)

So how can i get them going?

How long have you had them for? She is probably not ready to breed yet. She's got to have eggs ready before she's going to spawn. If you have had them a short while let them go for a bit. If a long while, maybe try something else, mine started breeding when I threw some randy Rusties in with them.

Definately will breed at those sizes mentioned.

I have a large colony and the males are around 15cms and the females are much smaller.

They definately hold plenty of eggs in their mouths too!

I get on average 40 fry from a female at around the 8-10cms mark.

In regards to the slate, well I have none of that in my tank. Just a few spots where it is opened space for them to do their twirly dance.

As for breeding, they normally breed whenever I do a water change, or once a month no matter what I do.

Seay

I have the same as size yellows as you but an extra female. I set up a couple of caves (basically 2 rocks with slate over the top and a piece on the bottom as well)

and I just had my first set of fry . I cant really say if the slate on the bottom helped or not but it certainly didn't hurt!!

I got the females 1st at the auction, then 3 or so weeks after the auction i got the male. Maybe it was 3-4 weeks with the male and females together now. I have pots in my tank cut in half, 1 large one and 4 small ones, Just when I got back home a few minutes ago, the larger pot had some sand taken out, I have coral sand and can be moved around easily. Inside the pot was a flat surface with coral sand, now the edge of the tank is piled up with coral sand leaving something like a hole inside the pot( or tried to make a hole ). The smaller female (7cm) was inside when i got home and the male was gaurding her (thats wat i think?). I didnt get to close to the tank because I might've scared them, so I watched ...

The female left the cave, the male also followed, could this be a sign?

Just then, i was watching the yellows, the 7cm female is taking coral sand out of the pot with her mouth leaving a hole on the bottom which i could just see. The male is starting to get aggressive, when a fish comes near them 2 he would chase them out. 1st time i've ever seen him get this aggressive. He usually hides in a cave, well not this time. Well could this be a sign now?

Im afraid he might do some damage to the fishes in with him :unsure

I now saw the male shaking ALOT in the pot with the female, they were going around each other and kept on shaking. then i notice the female having a change in color, around her head has become really shiny yellow and mayb and i think under her mouth has a small buldge?!?!?!?!?! :D Could this be it? She is hiding more often now, and breathing really fast, like havig food in your mouth and cant breath properly, well i think she has a mouthful :D:D what should be done now? should she be kept somewhere in a fry saver? a large frysaver???

My Electric Yellows were holding mouthfuls when they were only between 3-4 cm long. I stripped the eggs off her and she had around 4 small fri with egg sac s that were my first babys ever from a mouth brooder they all survived and have bred many more scince. All that is in the tank is an otto power head and some small teracotta pots with holes cut in them. I think they bred in these pots?as they did dig all the gravel out down to the glass bottom of the tank.

BRAD.....

Kaz

Whenever I see two yellows circling each other for over 5 mins they're normally both males.

I think they're establishing dominancy.

Of course if they're doing the shakey-shakey hoola dance then its possible they're signs of breeding.

Good luck

Seay

You can see the mouthful and if you dont know the day when see got it just keep an eye on her and then when the under side of her mouth becomes darker the fri should be free swimmingsize and ready for the fri saver. IMO this is the best time as removing them as eggs has not given me as greater sucess rate and the fri seem to grow slower without there mother.

BRAD.......

The best thing you can do is just leave them alone.

If it is her first batch then she will probably eat them before they come out, as she is probably not quite used to the idea of not eating for a few weeks. I think its quite disturbing to flush them out of her too.

When they are first starting to breed the male will chase her around and around and around. , He will also be busying himself with clearing sand, there is no end to this, it just goes on and on. He will eventually get her into the "love" nest, this may go on for a few days, with repeated chasing and sand shoveling, eventually the female will find somewhere to hide amongst plants and rocks where he cant see her, thats why you need about 3 females, so he can go and chase other ones, otherwise he just keeps on going.

If you want to promote faster hatching times, turn up the heat by about 1-2 degrees on the heater.

Also to increase survival rate get a piece of spikey coral, this way the fry can swin into the middle of the coral and the adults cant get at them.

As they got better at it ours seemed to have between 15 - 20 babies. For some reason ours seem to have smaller numbers of babies than the usual 30 - 40, but they hold them for a bit longer - so they come out bigger, you can actually see the little heads trying to get out in the last few days before she finally lets them go.

The female will then spend a week or two hiding from the male, eating again, before it all starts again.

My female has a fight with other e.yellows just before i put her in the fry saver. After the fight her stomach where she holds the fry seems to be smaller but she still not eating. Many damages to the fry saver, and i guess it is better to make a home-made frysaver. I have another female which is larger than the one holding why wont he breed with her?

She may not be ready, may not have eggs ready to be laid.

She won't eat much if at all while she is holding.

I like to separate my females when they are holding. I may not take them out for a week or so though.

I use a home made fry saver made from the ice cream tin, and I float a piece of black ag pipe in it, the mbuna seem to like that but not my Eurekas (Aulonocara). The ice cream container makes it more protected for them, I think.

Yes if they fight they may lose eggs/fry, I have had that happen. I have large colonies so it's easier for holding females to stay out of the fray.

My mbuna have been pretty good about not eating their own eggs/fry, esp. the Labidochromis species (which is what yellows are).

Hope this helps. :)

Archived