6 week old BN are slowly dying

rosco

Hi all,

6 weeks ago I got my first brood of BN, there was around 80 in the brood. Initially I keep them in a free saver with the dad and his cave (an easter island man) and they slowly emerged. After a week or so I put dad back into the tank and then just left the bubs in the fry saver. 2 weeks after that I took 40 litres of water out their tank and put them into a standard 2' tank in my fish room with a cycled corner filter. They have been in the tank living quite happily for the past 2 weeks with no loses. But over the past 1 week or so I have been losing 1 or 2 a night and I am not sure why. Prior to this I have been doing small weekly water changes with no obviuosly major losses. I have been feeding them zuccuni slices and a mixture of spiula flakes and NSWSC pellets. they all appear to be getting to a particulare size and then dying. Could it be due to over crowding or lack of food or the types of food that I am feeding them or a combination dntknw.gif

I have another 30 odd from the next brood that I was going to add to the tank in a week or so but not until I work out what is going on.

Can someone help me before my 80 turn into 8

cheers

Rosco

That sort of thing happened to me, and i put it down to overcrowding and overfeeding, that does not mean though , that is the cause of the problem, Is all the food you putting in there getting eaten, or just sucked up by the filter?

If i were you possibly cut down the food, and see how that goes

Hi thanks for the replies,

All the food is gone especially the zuccuni they cannot get enough off. Unfortunately I cannot move them back because the tank they came from has there 4 litre fry saver being used for the next batch and if I chuck them in there it will really crowded laugh.gif.

I moved 10 out the tank into another tank and touch wood I have not lost any more in a day or so. I have noticed that since I removed them that a couple of them appear to have grown so it may be over crowding (Although I am not sure how many I have left of the 10 I moved). I am hoping to set up another 3 tanks the weekend and I think that I will start farming them out to there.

It has been an indifferent week for the BN's I lost 3 5-6cm guys yesterday in what I think was an ammonia spike in one of my tanks ( I opened the lids and I got good whaft of ammonia). It is bizarrare as the 2 juvenile saulsoi are fine dntknw.gif

I guess these things happen when you are first firing up a fish room I just hate losing any fish cryblow.gif

cheers

Rosco

Archived