Jardidni and Americans?

Pierced Soul

Thinking of getting a Jardini for my 6x2x2 the jardini sizes are about 15cm. the biggest cichlid in the tank is a hartwegi who isnt as long, but twice the body size. I also have some green terros, chocolates and rainbow cichlids in there.

I wondering whether the jardini will get bashed by the americans, or whtehr they'll leave him alone? also, will the jardini be more prone to jumping given the other fish?

This seems to be a very common arrangement in the US where alot of people seem to keep Toga rather than their tankbusting foreign cousins and they keep them with large cichlids.

While I say it is very common, I wont say it is without risk. I know alot of people who have had this setup, and I know many of them had massive problems. The number one problem being things seem fine for so long, you forget their may be a risk, until one day something decides it could eat something else.

I have heard lots of stories where the toga eyes off something a little too large as potential prey, and by the time anyone finds it, it is too late for both fish.

There are also many success stories with the setup lasting as long as anybody cares to keep it.

I think it is one of those things which is very much borderline, and from what I have heard and put together in my own mind, I wouldnt like to lay a bet on either side of the fence.

Hmmmm didnt think the togas would try and rip eyes out though it really shouldnt surprise me.....

I'm more concerned at the present about the toga getting thrashed by the hartwegi who since being put into the 6x2x2 on saturday has picked fights with everyone. STrange thing about this is that the tank he was in before had lionheads and he left them all alone....

then again It never cease to amze me how peaceful my "aggressive" fish are. my red devil only got aggressive a few months back when he got to 10" before that he was a wuss. my green terrors would be scared of neons and my jag is relatively peaceful...

I agree with Ducksta, again..... Toga's can sometimes snap. Often after years peacefull co-habitation. I have heard them killing datnoids, ghost knives, oscars, Jaguars etc.... But this may never happen to you. I think the red devil is the biggest problem. Toga's take crap but only to a point, then they bite back......HARD. They arent the most social fish, they are a very primitive fish with little sense of self preservation compared to alot of large cichlids, and they have great armour and jaws. Yes they jump ALOT. you will need to put some good size weight on the lids when he gets bigger.

They should be cool until the toga matures. Then they will have to leave him alone. I think the safest tankmate for a toga is a murray cod.....

Of course this is only my opinion.

Cheers,

Jason

Archived