urgent please help: jack demsey seems to be dying

aymenz

hey guys....

my 4 footer cracked and because of this i had to take the fish out and put them in a the bath tub as i don't have a spare tank for that......

well after fixing the tank ...... i filled it with water, set the heaters up and the filters......

i had in the tank a breeding pair of texas and a breeding pair of jack dempsies,,,,

they're seperated 2 foot for each.....

well today i was checking on the fish and the male jack seems to be so sick....

his eyes are both poped out and there's white around them.... :)

also his stomach is so fat (bloat)... and he can hardly breath... ;)

the gills seems to be ripped out. as i can see some of the gills out... like blood and he is trying to spit them out...... :(

can someone please tell me what's the problem here ????

and how it happened.... ???? and what's the solution ????

a added a bit of salt.....

is this ok for the fish.........

please help asap because i don't wanna loose it...

c ya

What is the problem or what caused it??

First of all, I reckon it is absolute lunacy to keep a breeding pair of Dempseys and Texas each in a 2' tank. Did you look into the behaviour patterns and requirements of this fish at all??? That is problem number one - you got what you should have expected. :);)

Now, Salt is fine to add in with the fish (rock salt, or similar I hope) This will help and so will a course of Melafix to stop any fungus happening and it sounds like he is heading to get that too.

I would advise separating him into a hospital tank and treating him in that. The swollen belly could be anything. If Melafix and salt don't do the trick in a few days, then something stronger may be needed. Don't expect the gill plates to grow back but he will be fine without them, just won't look as pretty.

Let me know by PM in a few days how he is and take it from there

hey anita thx for the reply....

for the tank size... i know it's bit small for them... but that's all i can afford :)

i had no problems with the fish b4 and they both spawned more than once.....

anyway... i'll try the melafix....

thx

c ya

Hi Aymenz.

When you say that you fixed the tank, how exactly did you fix it?

What I am trying to get at is did you use silicon that was manufactured for use with aqauriums or did you just use the normal stuff for bathrooms?

Also I hope you scrubbed down the bath tub extremely well before putting the fish in it because the chemicals used to clean it would not have done the fish much good either.

HTH

good point chester..... ;)

well i used silicone safe manufactured by selleys.......

and it's aquarium safe too....

the other thing is my wife, just toold me that she used to clean the bath tub with deterjants... and i didn't clean it before.... :(

so do u think this caused the problem ?????

and what else i cn do, other then using melafix ???????

the problem is... my x bottle of melafix finished when i was using it to treat the female.....

and now all shops are closed for X-mas to get a new one.....!!!!!

does anyone knows when they re-open ????????

thx in adv. for the help

c ya.

Aymenz

Anita covered it all. I've just treated a Hartwegi with the same symptoms (got hammered by a Cuban cichlid) and thankfully the Hartwegi recovered after treatment.

I'd put about half a cup of dissolved rock salt ( dont use table salt because its processed and contains iodine) in the tank along with 30 mls of Melafix. Repeat the Melafix dose daily for a week then do a water change. If the fish develops secondary infections on the body and body fungus or open sores you could dab Melafix directly on the wounds ( dont know if youre supposed to do this but it works each time I've done it ). The popeyes might be a problem but the fish may recover.If it gets worse there are other treatments for bacterial fungus etc like TriSulfate that you could use.

Mate, you know now but sheesh, keeping breeding dempseys and texas together in the same tank is dangerous - in a standard 4 footer its a recipe for disaster.

Good luck

Nick

:(

• 3 weeks later...

Archived