Available Victorians?

davez104

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone here keeps Lake Victorian cichlids (including the smaller satelite lakes) and what is available. Rough values would be good too. There are some very nice fish from that area but I have not seen too much around.

Thanks.

Thanks, I have a breeding trio of Xystochromis phytophagus to pick up on monday arvo, hopefully nice ones, havn't seen em yet, (only cost me 12 bucks). What are crimson tides?? I would like to get a few different types but just not sure whats in the country and still of reasonable quality.

Thanks again.

Dave.

Got my trio of Xystochromis phytophagus last night, as well as two adult male pundemelia nyereri and half a dozen juvies. They are all beautiful fish, will keep my eyes open for more, there must be more than three species here.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I've got 6 Astatotilapia burtoni juv's that I got from the NSWSC meeting the other night.

They only cost me $1 each and they're really cool little fish. I haven't been able to find much info on this fish and I'm not sure which lake they're from , as the web sites I've seen contradict eachother. Some say Victoria, saome say Tanganyika.

Here's a pic of a nice male......

Astatotilapia burtoni

Bretto.

hey everyone!

i got a few large and small crimson tides and also a few ast. browne also large and small.. values well it depends when and where you buy them basically...... they are getting rare now so i dont know where you could purchase them for a good price that is.. gtg cyas dry.gif

Yet another example of why we should always use scientific names only.

have you thought of flamebacks (pundemelia nyereri) there is a lot of them around at reasonable price and most should be good quality

Haplochromis flameback and Pundemelia nyererei are in fact 2 different species of fish. Although they look similar you will soon see the difference if you put a group of them together. While flameback males will share a tank if its a reasonable size, true Pundemelia males apparently will kill each other in anything less than a swimming pool sized tank, they have zero tolerance for competition, even in the wild.

Those facts aside both are stunning looking fish.

Bob

Archived