NON fish but computer related

odessy

hi all.

i rememebr reading a little bit about this in a computer magazine a while back but cant recall enough info to help me. i have a virus/spam bug on my computer. Every once and a while when i click or type in a site it automatically takes me to a search engine/advertsing site. The site is called "my search now" and a pop up for "warnet" also appears. i believe i recieved this bug from kazaa/morpheus. if anyone is having the same problem please respond as i would like to know if it is just me. alternatively if anyone knows how to eliminate this problem it would be much appreciated.

best regards..

thanks in advance

Hey mate,

I had this exact one too, and still have it!

I dont know how to get rid of it. I tryed removing it in the My Computer section but it wont let me.

Its this thing that is like a spy that sees every page you go to.

im trying to get rid of it now, ill tell you how it oges.

cheers mate and Merry Xmas to you and your family

Richard

I'm sure if you go to Google and type in something along the lines of: "my search now virus", you'll find a site that has an extraction tool. You might have to try a few word combinations in the search engine before you find it, but there will be one somewhere. This is what I did with a few virus's I've had (before I had decent anti-virus software).

LOL@Richard

You also put this on my PC last time when you installed something else. It's just a tool bar that gets added on. It took me forever to find the actual site of the software developers but when you do find it, there is a link which tells you how to remove it.

For anyone who hates getting popups, try downloading the Google Toolbar from:

Google Toolbar

It has an option which blocks popups provided you have Internet 6.0 and higher.

I use this for my search engine, popup blocker, image searcher and more so check it out.

Cheers

Paul

Adaware and Spybot are 2 programs which should help you here. Once you have used these programs to remove the 'virus' you would be wise to uninstall kazaa, and find kazaa lite instead. This does everything kazaa does, but without the spyware.

Adaware is currently the best spyware removal tool out.

go to www.download.com and type in adaware in the search. The top one is what you want to download.

After you instal the program, run the "check for updates" in the software. Then do a scan on your computer.

I run the update and scan both of my computers ever 3 days or so.

mulva i have adaware and several anti-virus programs on my computer and non of them have been able to remove this pesky bug. refer to the link above by richard.

hope it helps you...

ps-firestorm i spent around 40 mins looking to remove it bfore i posted. i always try and answer my own question before askign for help

You guys must be cursed...about an hour after I posted about finding an extraction tool I somehow contracted (?) the "fastsearch" homepage hijack virus. And damn, this thing was affecting my WHOLE computer. My homepage was hijacked, internet explorer kept shutting itself down and freezing, programs wouldn't work, I kept getting error messages during startup [computer] and my precious games kept freezing :o :( :o

The virus is a variant of the "coolwebsearch" worm, and I downloaded an extraction tool here:

http://www.computercops.biz/postt9011.html

This might be useful to some of you guys because this extraction tool works for most of the homepage hijackers, because they're all a variant of the same thing. Its worth a try...

Worked like a charm too. Funny thing was, none of my anti-virus software detected this thing ;)

-Shaun

Do you have the newest adaware? I Believe there is an older version out that isnt as good.

Also if you have the newest, make sure you run the update.

I once had a problem similar on my work computer, ended up formatting anyways.

Archived