OT: Zebra Finch Chicks

Dark Morelia

Love their spotty mouths. I saw some "dark" mutations of the zebra finch recently. Very striking.

For footage of spotty mouth finches: 'Life of Birds' is well worth a look.

Nice birds bigsmile.gif!

Thanks Guys bigsmile.gif

YeW-

They are the "Black-faced" mutation... they were sold to me as the "Charcoal" mutation, and i didn't know any better, i liked them and liked the price, but it turns out Black-faced are harder to get anyway thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I apologise for the bits of grass in the way, but it's their first clutch, and i didn't want them too upset about me sticking a camera into their nest for longer than i needed to laugh.gif

Here is a pic of their parents, and an old pic of the male, but shows his markings better.

user posted image

user posted image

They're not much different to the wildtype but just that much more striking, IMO, and not as lairy as some mutations.

Wildtype

Example of a Lairy Mutation laugh.gif (Orange Face Phaeo)

Andy

DM

OK... you better lock the thread before i get too carried away laugh.gif

Great photos, not only of the chicks but also the parents. Just three questions.

Are you running your finches in with other birds or in an avairy on their own? It just looks like there is a cockatiel feather in the nest.

Did you separate this pair so that they would mate or did you leave it to chance (if you have other zebs)?

What other colour varieties do you have?

Gerard

Dave-

Charcoal has more black and less markings.

Charcoal Pics & Description

Black-faced Pics & Desc.

I am actually a bit confused as neither BF or Charcoal Hens have the black scaling on the breast mine has unsure.gif

Ged-

They are my only Zebs, but i have kept & bred several other mutations. They are housed with a mixed flock of Australian finches, two pairs of Cockatiels and a pair of Brown Quail. You can see a quail feather in the nest, too.

I'm currently housing them all together until i finish a larger all-finch aviary, but i left the nest boxes in so they can roost in them, and zebs being zebs, have bred even in over-stocked conditions laugh.gif The finches are absolutely fine with the Cockatiels though, never see any aggression whatsoever, and have even bred the finicky Star finch in with them. However i had less finches then. I have now stopped the 'Tiels breeding, as finches everywhere + fledgling cockatiels is not a good combination blink.gif

Andrea-

I've found an area with quite a few wild flocks of Zebs, and other finches, but i'll be buggered if i can get any decent pics of them laugh.gif good to watch though, as they teach me what types of grasses and stuff to put in my aviaries wink.gif

I'd love to go west into the deserty areas, or to the NT and birdwatch smile.gif

Andy

DM

Archived