Which Camera?

Ducksta

I know this is not a new topic and has been discussed no end rolleyes.gif

But I think the reason is probably because the market changes so regularly.

Anyway, I am looking to buy. Don't particularly want anything second hand or eBay'ed.

What I am looking for are opinions from those of you who are camera buffs (I know a few names I will be looking at closely)

I am after what is essentially a good alround camera, with no specific attatchment to aquarium photography but that would be a nice side-effect of a good camera/lens arrangemtn I suppose.

So yes, this will not be my first SLR (although first for a while), and not my first digital, but it will be my first Digital SLR (I've never even used one? But assume they are much like the new fangled film ones I have used.)

Anyway I have been reading alot of the camera reviews etc. But what i am looking for is opinions from people I actually kind of 'know' who aren't promoting their own products etc.

Price guide of what you suggest would be nice too.

And any recommendations on good reliably sellers thumb.gif

Cheers all

Duck

hi,

my recommendation would be to pick between the Canon or Nikon lineups based on

- how comfortable you are with the feel and controls of the camera (ie stuff around with one for a while)

- whether you (or friends/family) have existing lenses, lights and stuff for either set.

I have a Canon 10D I'm pretty happy with (like most things the current models are cheaper and/or better) as I was familiar with my existing CANON film SLR and my sister-in-law has a camera that takes the same fittings so we can swap lenses, lights, tripods and stuff. Even my kids CANON point-and-click at least takes the same memory chips so they have access to bigger and better memory chips than they otherwise would have.

Can you give me a vauge price ball park Ducksta. Having just researched them a fair bit im happy to give you a run down of my research but i need to know how much you are willing to spend.

Cheers

Steve

one of the guys here at work just picked up a d70 with two lenses, camera bag and a memory card for 2200 with 200 cash back. i think the duck man was suitably impressed and will be looking at getting one. that price is an absolute steal compared to prices 12 months ago when I got mine sad.gif

oh well, its good news for anyone getting a digital SLR

As Gav said I think I will buy a D70 and get the cashback before end of Feb LOL.gif

Have used NIKON film cameras and liked them, and have access to lenses etc (assuming they are compatible with film models which I am pretty sure of)

As for not giving a ballpark figure, well there was no ballpark figure, I was open to any and all suggestions. Would probably have sold a boat if I had to to get one I really wanted blush.gif

Have used NIKON film cameras and liked them, and have access to lenses etc (assuming they are compatible with film models which I am pretty sure of)

indeed, they are exactly the same. just a differnt guts in them (ie one is all chips and circuit boards, the other is film)

As for not giving a ballpark figure, well there was no ballpark figure,  I was open to any and all suggestions.  Would probably have sold a boat if I had to to get one I really wanted blush.gif

christ! it's that serious eh?

dntknw.gif I'm shocking, went and bought the d70 this morning. Nearly got sucked into some limited edition canon (was it a 300D blink.gif ) but couldnt go past the NIKON deal for the money.

He almost wouldn't give me the price, but I asked to speak to the manager and next thing the sale was being processed and he was out back looking for the other lens. Unfortunately lens out of stock so I pick that up Tuesday thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Archived