Cynotilapia afra (Chinuni)

slinky

PIC

well i have some mbunas which i purchased a while back labeled as Cynotilapia afra. im extremely convinced that the afras i purchased look like the ones in the pic, but im not sure because i havnt heard of chinuni being available in australia. sorry i cant provide a pic of my afras(put i can say, it looks extremely similar to the one in the pic, except mine is a bit fatter). so are the varient chinuni available in australia, or is it a similar looking variant of afra that i have (if so, what variant). thanku in advance.

slinky

The original strain of "blue" afra we had here from many years ago will probably never be identified. It's likely it's lost it's purity, however if you can find a source that's kept it for at least the past 10 years, you will have a better chance of finding a decent bloodline.

We had a big thread running on this subject, but I think it may have been on the old forum. We identified it to the closest match from Konings books according to the pictures that were posted.

It may help if you could post up pictures of your actual fish and we can try again.

The main pure blood afra in the country at the moment are the "Cobwe" and the "Lion (or Lion's Cove)"

About 4 years ago I purchased a group of 10 "afra" from a "well respected/known" ohmy.gifunsure.gif supplier in Sydney. When they grew to about 5cm, it was clear that there were at least two different fish types amongst the group dry.gif . Some looked decidedly like fuelleborni x afra, whilst some looked like a dark blue afra and the rest were a lighter shade of blue.

Unfortunately I was forced to destroy them because I was unsure of their type sadsmiley02.gif . Be careful when buying "afra" is my recommendation. I shalll search for some pics. of the group and add them to this post if I can locate them.

merjo smile.gif

its very risky to try and attach a location to a fish you buy as a generic. there is a lot of blue afras going around, every month in the mini auctions there tends to be some. my advice would be to keep yours as blue afra and not try and guess a location, as there is no way you can ever know that you are 100% correct.

so i would say your variant is most likely a mix of one or more blue variants, cos as Andy said these have been around for years and never truly identified. blue afra is a safe generic that is commonly used thumb.gif

Archived