fish 1st or subtratel?

Richard

Hey guys,

Im getting some fish for my 6fter this week but atm i hav no substrate for that tank yet.

Will i need toput substrate before adding the fish? I know its wise to do the tank 1st but just wanted to know if it is ok.

cheers

Richard

Richard,

Personally i would wait and get the substrate and rocks and everything else in the tank and get everything right before adding fish. However in saying this you probably could add fish before adding the substrate but the risk is probably not worth it. What sort of fish would you be adding?

Hey Beardie,

I have already layed the rocks in and all i need now is the gravel and fish.

I already have 2 electric blues and 1 fighting fish in there at the moment just to make sure all is good, so far its gonig very well and the water parametres are good.

Im adding some large frontosa and the filter is fully cycled so it will be able to handle it.

cheers

Richard

No probs Mazimbwe,

some of the fish may be startled and scared/stressed etc from the addition of the gravel when the tank has water already in it. I found that when i changed from sand to gravel whislt keeping my fish in the tank at the same time in my old 3ft tank that one of my angels went alittle crazy and got a big scratch from swimming into some rocks.

Archived