Quality of 6 bar frontosa

XterC

Hi all,

Just wondering how would you rate quality frontosa.... what do you look for in a fish.... below are 2 of my young fronnies...

Also can anyone tell me if they are male or female?

DSC01633.JPG

DSC01619.JPG

Cheers,

Tony

Sorry, i didn't mean no black on the fins at all, the stripes should continue slightly but not too far, only a little bit. i think you will find that wild caught frontosas only have the theirs stripes continue on a little bit. Again i am not totally sure as i have only been told this :huh:

Sorry for abducting your post :D ...but i would also like to know the quality of mine and maybe a value.

thanks

I think the most important thing is that the fronty should have no deformities, especially of the head and mouth area (have seen a few around with wierd looking heads).

I don't understand why everyone gets so hung up about the bars. Wild caught fronties have heaps of variation in the bars - broken ones, crossed bars, split bars. It's all normal variation. I imagine there'd be plenty of wild fronties which also have a fair bit of black going up into the dorsal fin too.

Cheers,

Jess

Gday Jess,

i totally agree with you in the baring and the amount of deformed fronts ive seen is unbeleivable esspecially around the head and mouth reagion... only problem is that so much importance has been placed with the baring that if you had fronts with bad bars no one would want them.... now im not in the hooby to make a dollar but its nice when your hobby can pay for itsself just a little...

Guest jayrock2508

I just checked out some pics of F0 Ziares,and I think most of them had some colour going up into the dorsal fin.I dont think its a bad thing :) By the way,nice fish :D

Merry xmas

Jay

does anyone have an idea on how much they would be worth??

I got mine (third one) for $30 at that size, and i was just wondering what he would be worth?

*edit* Also Anita, you say the thirds a female...i was told it was a male by a few people, btw the colouring on its head is not as strong in the photo as in real life.

cheers

I think the most important thing is that the fronty should have no deformities, especially of the head and mouth area (have seen a few around with wierd looking heads).

I don't understand why everyone gets so hung up about the bars. Wild caught fronties have heaps of variation in the bars - broken ones, crossed bars, split bars. It's all normal variation. I imagine there'd be plenty of wild fronties which also have a fair bit of black going up into the dorsal fin too.

I have to agree with Jess's comment on bars here too... I think maybe even the line breeding to get the "perfect bar" could be introducing bad genes and leading to the deformities mentioned....

Remember breeding bro to sis many many generations will eventually start to enhance certain genes, this can mean the worst genes in some cases.... If we all ways do this with limited non related animals eventually the gene pool is reduced either enhanceing desired traits and/or possibly non desirables...

Mike

aurea@optushome.com.au

Archived