Spawning Bristlenose

Newo

Im going to try and breed bristlenose catties.

Do I really need to go out and buy substrate.

The tank I have spare is bare atm and cash is low so I dont really wanna go spend $20 on gravel.

I dont mind spending $3 on white sand i guess.

If I sound broke, its because I am.

blush.gif

You dont need substrate - but where are you buying it if it costs $20??

Go down to your local Bunnings and buy a 25kg bag of sand for $4 (enough for quite a few tanks!). I bought a similar amount of gravel last time I was at Bunnings I think it set me back a mighty $10.

There is NO reason to pay big money for "generic" substrates.

you should see these magic beans i just bought!

so anyways... any other tips to make these guys get jiggy?

Im using a 3x18x18.

Can I put a few bnose in there... or should I just put one pair?

I recommend you check the contents of the sand you intend to use if buying a pre-packaged sand.

Some can contain glass and fibreglass spores which are good for cementing etc but not good for fish.

See how this is less offensive but still gets the message across Scarfaze? Be very careful in the way you word your posts and you might get to stay around a bit longer this time wink.gif

I have not been overly successful with bristle nose in bare tanks, but other breeders are quite happy with their results.

I am not likely to go out and pay $8 ea for ceramic logs to use in bare tanks when 60cent terracota planter saucers work in a tank with gravel.

Secondly, all my bristle nose breeding tanks have full tank substrate filters.

These days there are no hard and fast rules for bristles. Years ago everything had to be just right. But, these days, with all the captive bred generations they just need to be wet to breed.

Good water any where from pH 6.5 to 7.6, moderately hard, temperature 18 C to 26C and some where to hide (Pot, coconut shell, log, ceramic, behind a filter under a rock) and if fed well they will breed.

Alan

Hey hey,

We make our own cavelike structures using pots, perspex and an angle grinder and (Matthew working on an article and pics soon). These are present in ALL our tanks smile.gif with daddy bristlies guarding eggs and fry continuously. Some have substrate some not smile.gif

Conditioning the females is not difficult but we have found a variety of fresh veges and protein works well.

They usually spawn after their weekly water change and are removed from dad a couple of weeks after they are free swimming to go into grow out tanks.

We have found them to be individuals wink.gif - some will spawn on or under anything remotely cavelike others require a structured cave with only one entrance and exit to feel safe smile.gif

Good Luck

Aline

We have found them to be individuals  - some will spawn on or under anything remotely cavelike others require a structured cave with only one entrance and exit to feel safe 

I know what you mean Aline, I had a heap structures set up for my guy and girl over the past 18months and do you what they decided to pick? A small easter island ornament (that I didn't want in the tank but my wife did) that got knocked over by the bigger fish in the tank. In the past month they have produced around 80-100 little ones in 2 lots thumb.gif, so anything goes with bristlenose they are a hoot woot.gif. They are quickly becoming my favourite fish.

cheers

Rosco

Archived