bioballs per gallon?

yellow

can someone tell me how many bioballs you need per litre or gallon of water.i keep hearing that you need a certain amount as such and im not sure how to calculate it.help from those who know would be greatly appreciated.

thanks jason

I have been told that for fresh water it is 10% of the volume of the tank. So if you have a 100 litre tank ,you need a volume of bio balls that would fit into a 10 litres. That is my understanding but if im wrong i hope someone else will correct me. I have just bought some bio balls. About 33 bio balls will give a volume of 1 litre (35 mm bio balls).

I'm working on the same principle too.

I have just finished making my sump/filter for my new rack of tanks and have used a combination of plastic scourers and bio balls for the media.

Total media volume is a touch over 10% of the water volume.

so what your saying is if i have a 100 litre tank my bio ball compartment in my sump if full of water would have to eqaul ten litres of water?also baz what type of plastic scourers are you using and where did you get them from ive just finiished my sump and am looking at plastic bio media alternatives

And my understanding also.

The scourers came from Golo I think (my lovely wife sourced them for me) and for $20 she got 180 scourers. That's 20 packs of 9 scourers.

They are like a substitute for the steel wool type of scourer but designed to be used for non stick cookwear. If you are still unsure let me know and I will get a picture of them in the next day or so for you.

The reality is you can use virtually any inert (and even non-inert eg: calcium carbonate based) materials for bio filtration.

I think gutter guard, scourers, coarse sponge etc all does the same job.

While bioballs work a treat - they arent the only way to do this, and they certainly arent the cheapest. For most cichlids going to such expense is probably unnecessary as there are other materials that'll do the same thing.

Archived